Riding 100km around an outdoor cycle track

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-WiW5SwRVY

It was a pretty much flat i.e. non-banked 450 metre track, and I decided to stick to the outside to make the curves more shallow so each lap was closer to 500 metres. Coldish drizzly day with little gusts of wind but the riding felt pretty much the same all round the track so at least it was consistent. I was trying out fuelling and got through 2 litres of Ribena (blackcurrant syrup drink) with extra scoops of maltodextrin in it, and a large bag of sushi; it did the job as I maintained over 30kmh for most of the ride, averaging 30.5kmh and taking 3 hours 19 minutes, which I'm more than happy with in retrospect.

Was ready for a proper lunch after it though, and don't think I'll ever be doing this again... :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:tired:

Slick

Guru
Doesn't sound like my idea of fun but definitely better than a turbo.

In fact, I've done the indoor thing so why not? Good effort. :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Try riding on Zwift, my longest solo ride 5+ hrs doing long routes. Ive done 100 mile ride in a little over 4 hrs in a group ride. Its entertainment as well as riding

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I'd rather be outside in the rain for five hours than sit and pedal in my garage, it's not what riding a bike is about for me.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Huh, are you saying it wasn't boring when you did track circuits, but it is when the OP does?
I did it as part of a team event and as a race - even so at 4am when you are on your third shift doing 90 minute stints it is boring. Doing 3 hours solo outside would make me crazy.

steverob

Guru
I've done a 50km ride on the outdoor road circuit by the London Velodrome (each lap 1 mile) and that while that was quite enjoyable, I'm not sure I'd have been up for doubling that distance! And that's a much more interesting circuit as it's got multiple different corners (not just the four!) and does undulate a bit as well, plus you've usually got other riders on it to chase down, or in my case, be chased down by, which adds a bit of variety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom