Riding a mountain bike on the roads currently. Get a road bike?

Get a road bike or not?

• Yes

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have been using a Specialized rockhopper MTB to commute with slick tyres and its heavy and the gear range is all wrong. Its good from a training point of view and I could change the cassette but its still a heavy brute. Im now at the point of selling and changing maybe to a cheap road bike or sell both my bikes and getting a 'do it all' bike.

This thread reminds me of some sage advice from the manager of my local bike shop:

"No one ever got fit riding a light bike."

macp

Guru
This thread reminds me of some sage advice from the manager of my local bike shop:

"No one ever got fit riding a light bike."
Nope but if it aint enjoyable......

Slick

Guru
I have been using a Specialized rockhopper MTB to commute with slick tyres and its heavy and the gear range is all wrong. Its good from a training point of view and I could change the cassette but its still a heavy brute. Im now at the point of selling and changing maybe to a cheap road bike or sell both my bikes and getting a 'do it all' bike.

That's the one I have. It's okay for short Sunday jaunts with hwsbo but as you say, pretty useless for anything else.

OP
OP
U

User48980

Hey everyone, thanks for all the comments.

I dove in and bought one two weeks ago. I am so happy I did! its like a whole new level of fun.
it is the Btwin, ultra 700 af.
Btwin-Ultra-AF-700-Aluminium-featured-630x420.jpg

I did my longest ride yet today on it.

31 miles, though it was quite a slow time. 2:27

Bear in mind there was a lot of hills.

3cb9ac57a2.png

Attachments

• Btwin-Ultra-AF-700-Aluminium-featured-630x420.jpg
    Btwin-Ultra-AF-700-Aluminium-featured-630x420.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 3cb9ac57a2.png
    3cb9ac57a2.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 3cb9ac57a2.png
    3cb9ac57a2.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 3cb9ac57a2.png
    3cb9ac57a2.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 55

Boon 51

Veteran
Road bike gearing is better than mtb gearing on the road and drop bars on a road bike gives you more positions to be comfortable while riding too.. so my answer is get a road bike?

OP
OP
U

User48980

Road bike gearing is better than mtb gearing on the road and drop bars on a road bike gives you more positions to be comfortable while riding too.. so my answer is get a road bike?
I guess you didn't read the post above. I already got a road bike :smile:

OP
OP
U

User48980

I'm sorry I thought the vote was for getting a road bike or not? must of miss read it ..
Well it was more of a poll to see if I should get one since i was just riding a mountain bike at the time.

The question was underneath the poll.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Well at least this poll has a happy ending which is more than I can say for the US presidential elections and the EU referendum. ;-)
The EU referendum result hasn't started so we don't know the ending.
At the rate things are going we may never know.
Perhaps they will have referendum to see if we want another referendum.:reading:

If you want to start thinking about doing any sort of distances and / or speeds, you will need to think about a road bike. If you go for a cyclocross, or 'adventure / gravel' bike, you'll keep some of the versatility of the mountain bike, but be less compromised in terms of distance / speed. The best time to look for a CX bike is at the end of the CX 'season' (March /April time), as the prices should hopefully come down a bit.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Don't get a road bike.
If you do, you'll forget about just commuting, and start going out on leisure rides. And then start riding longer and longer distances. And what is worse, you'll enjoy it. Then you'll be looking at 50 mile rides, which is the start of a long, slippery slope.

DON'T DO IT!!!

(Oh, I see I'm too late. Oh well!)

Top Bottom