Riding a smaller framed bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just been thinking about getting another bike and wondered what would I gain by having a smaller framed bike.
I had heard that many of the big racers like Contador etc use a smaller frame bike.
So what are the gains or not gains of having a smaller frame bike?
Cheers

As long as its not too small I believe a smaller bike feels more agile and you obviously have a slight weight saving.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was talking to by LBS about 30 minutes ago. One of his customers is doing a charity ride from Copenhagen to Paris. It's a big affair and part of the entry fee is a new Bianchi bike. It was suggested that he used a road bike 2cm smaller than his usual road bike. It worked so well for him that he is now selling his usual bike and keeping the Bianchi.

http://www.team-rynkeby.com.au/film-7.aspx?videoId=xdZCHUM_lac

Steve

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Found this on velo news

Q.Nick,
I have often been told by many “expert” fitters that if you need a 14cm stem (referring specifically to the photos of Ivan Basso’s bike) and lots of setback on your saddle, then you are riding a frame that is too small. However, almost every pro bike I look at shows very long stems, lots of setback, and huge drop from the saddle to the bars. I know that their bikes fit them, but why not ride a larger frame and have more “standard” length saddle setbacks and stem lengths?

— Dave B.

A.Dave,
Great question. Most important is that if your fit is working for you, stick with it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, pointing to pro riders is an exercise in futility. For some reason, many riders think that because a pro rides a certain piece of equipment or uses it a certain way, that they should emulate the pros. That’s ridiculous.

The truth is that many pros ride terrible positions. That said, many of them get along just fine doing that for their entire careers, so what does my or anyone else’s assessment matter? Ever see a photo of Sean Kelly racing? He rode what most consider to be too small a frame. That didn’t keep him from dominating the classics and grand tours.

In more modern times, pros often use a smaller frame that a similarly sized recreational rider because they want to ride a big drop to the handlebars. As head tubes continue to grow for a given frame size, pros are forced onto smaller frames to maintain their positions. Drop is the big difference between the average pro and the average recreational rider. The rest is a function of that difference.

Pros don’t necessarily run more setback than you or me, it’s just that their saddles are farther back on the rails because seat tube angles tend to steepen as frame sizes go down. The longer stems are there to make up for shorter top tubes on smaller bikes.

The real lesson here though is to stop looking to pro riders for cues on what we should be riding. That thinking assumes too many things, the most obvious being that a given pro has a good position. It cracks me up when fans want to know the measurements of their favorite pro. Those numbers are only meaningful to two people: 1. The rider, and 2. The mechanics whose job it is to recreate the position on multiple bikes.

No matter what, trying to mimic a pro’s position is silly because it means that you’re likely denying what your body would actually benefit from. Doing so can actually be a performance inhibitor

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...e-pros-on-position_207609#Dz5B8KiDFdTsvm7z.99

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
That isnt strictly true^

I've never heard of anyone having anything but good results from doing what the pros do. Its more to do with toning what the pros do, down" to be more inline with our own ability that is the crucial factor.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The bike I sat on was a BMC and had a 51 size frame( I'm normally a 54/53 frame) so its one size smaller, the saddle was way to high for me by several inches but with my foot on a stool I could sit on the bike and move it around. I have to say it felt better than my other bike which is a medium frame size.
It did feel really comfortable but I was only sitting and not riding but it did feel better none the the less.
I'm going to have another look tonight.
It might be the BMC's are a tad bigger anyway but the bike felt good.
Thanks for the replies so far.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I ride a 54 frame, second hand and I liked the bike a lot, where I'm usually a 56. Its no big deal really IMO, I can get comfy down on it and still potter along on the tops in no discomfort and I'm by no means a supple racing snake of a figure.

all I did do was flip the stem to give a slightly higher bar and I do have my saddle a good way back.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That isnt strictly true^

I've never heard of anyone having anything but good results from doing what the pros do. Its more to do with toning what the pros do, down" to be more inline with our own ability that is the crucial factor.
Which is pretty much what it says anyway and we all know you want to be" pro ":rolleyes:
Bit hard for me anyway ! i need a 52 frame for a "normal fit", a 54 cm i need an 80 mm stem and you dont see to many smaller bikes about without hunting around a bit .My current nice bike they had to order in specially after i tried a number of shops within a 30 mile radius .

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Frame size goes in and out of fashion. Look back at riders from the sixties to the eighties and they had very little seatpost showing, go back further than that and smaller frames were said to be better. In my view provided your position on the bike fits you it doesn't matter whether it is achieved with six inches of seatpost showing and a 10cm stem or a foot of post sticking up and a 13cm stem. You will lose a bit of weight with a smaller frame but you'll add some back with a longer stem and seatpost.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
That isnt strictly true^

Nonsense, just because you've never heard of it doesn't make it an instant fact. There are lots of factors to consider but generally the older/less flexible/fit you are then the further from the pro style set up you want to be. If you want the bars up high then you actually need to go bigger on a frame rather than the reverse. As the bars rise they will get closer to the saddle as a result of the HT angle.

For many of us if we want to ride in comfort and be able to use all parts of a drop bar then bigger frames, longer head tubes and shallower drops are a help. Have a look at the geometry specs on any of the big sites for 58cm and above bikes.

Crankarm

Guru
Nonsense, just because you've never heard of it doesn't make it an instant fact. There are lots of factors to consider but generally the older/less flexible/fit you are then the further from the pro style set up you want to be. If you want the bars up high then you actually need to go bigger on a frame rather than the reverse. As the bars rise they will get closer to the saddle as a result of the HT angle.

For many of us if we want to ride in comfort and be able to use all parts of a drop bar then bigger frames, longer head tubes and shallower drops are a help. Have a look at the geometry specs on any of the big sites for 58cm and above bikes.

Welcome back.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just had another sit on the BMC bike size 51 and it did feel different but in a good way. I'm back in the UK in just over a weeks time so I will call into evanscycles and see if they have a 51/52 frame demo bike I could try.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I used to ride a 58cm Allez and swapped to a 56cm Focus Izalco, I liked the look of the larger bike but the comfort of the new position is night and day - lovely.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Frame size goes in and out of fashion. Look back at riders from the sixties to the eighties and they had very little seatpost showing, go back further than that and smaller frames were said to be better. In my view provided your position on the bike fits you it doesn't matter whether it is achieved with six inches of seatpost showing and a 10cm stem or a foot of post sticking up and a 13cm stem. You will lose a bit of weight with a smaller frame but you'll add some back with a longer stem and seatpost.
This. Fashion has a lot to answer for, that and the trend for manufacturers to only manufacture the minimum number of frame sizes they can get away with.

I've gone off the look of compact and semi-compact frames on the road. I simply prefer the 'gate' look of a bike with minimal seatpost. I'm nominally a 57/58cm frame size but the last two bikes I've built/bought have been 60cm and 62cm. Both fit like gloves just like the bikes they are replacing but the fit is achieved by different means, and they look more old skool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom