Riding a smaller framed bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I used to ride a 58cm Allez and swapped to a 56cm Focus Izalco, I liked the look of the larger bike but the comfort of the new position is night and day - lovely.
And if you had swapped from a 58cm Allez to a 56cm Allez?

Likely a lot more to the change you've experienced than the simple change in size.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For many of us if we want to ride in comfort and be able to use all parts of a drop bar then bigger frames, longer head tubes and shallower drops are a help. Have a look at the geometry specs on any of the big sites for 58cm and above bikes.
Head down arse up, top of bars waaay below the height of the saddle may be great when riding in the pro peleton but it can be a pain in the neck, quite literally, when riding in traffic and makes little sense for day-after-day riding by recreational or touring cyclists who might actually want to look at the scenery!

Last edited:

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
I've just bought a 50cm allez elite. Now all that is missing is a gadget with cadence and HR to watch thus replacing the boring green countryside I'm never going to see anymore.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've just bought a 50cm allez elite. Now all that is missing is a gadget with cadence and HR to watch thus replacing the boring green countryside I'm never going to see anymore.
I did 21.75 miles in 6 and a half hours.
Got loads of pictures to show, found several entrances to woods didn't know where there, learned you can flavor syrup from the seeds of a weed.
Wouldn't want to ride like this everyday, but it was a great day out.

Way back in the 1990s there was a gentleman called Mike Burrows who invented the Lotus type 108:

SSPL_10308019_Comp.jpg

He then moved to Giant and along came the Giant OCR / TCR compact frame concept

The first commercially available compact frame was built by Dave Lloyd, sometime back in the eighties I believe. It looked rather weird by the standards of the day and never took off.

There were other oddities as well without takingthis off topic

Does anyone else remember the fashion for smaller front wheels to lower the front and become more aerodynamic?

AndyTT.jpg

That went to extremes!

Moser rode a customised "Big Wheel" when he competed his Veterans Hour record

francesco-moser-indoor-hour-record-21-05-1988-stuttgart.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There were other oddities as well without takingthis off topic

Does anyone else remember the fashion for smaller front wheels to lower the front and become more aerodynamic?

AndyTT.jpg

That went to extremes!

Moser rode a customised "Big Wheel" when he competed his Veterans Hour record

francesco-moser-indoor-hour-record-21-05-1988-stuttgart.jpg
The late eighties and early nineties saw plenty of time trial frames with the top tube sloping to the front. Smaller front wheels were banned by the UCI in yet another move to ensure bicycle development stayed as far back in the dark ages as they could keep it.

I remember the long standing Graeme Obree saga where the UCI changed the bike design rules to ban every bike and position he used!

On one occasion they altered the position between the front of the seat and bottom bracket over the lunch break........ so that the bike was "legal" for the morning's hour session, but illegal for the afternoon one.

IIRC there is a wonderful "up yours" story where Obree went out, bought a child's saddle, lopped off the front with a hacksaw and then presented the bike in a condition that passed the rules.

Top Bottom