riding at night, anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Safer too as drivers can see you coming.

Or possibly more helpfully: we can see them coming...

got out last night. surprised a BIG owl which launched just a cpl feet in front of me then flew along the trail, ahead of me, for a cpl seconds, as I followed it, before disappearing up into the trees. I was so startled all I could muster were 2 frightened ahh! ahh!s it was spectacular & had such broad wings. of course my camera was off at the time. IDIOT!

been using a light for a long time & added a beam cutoff hood for riding with the general public. but off in the woods I don't care to cutoff the beam & would rather see more. I like the setup tho, so I'm thinking of getting a different head for the big battery I have. and something extra for the helmet, next to my camera. I really want to capture a vid of that flying owl!

11-16 assabet.jpg

It keeps me sane! :biggrin: What lights are you using?
almost embarrassed to say the original Magicshine, but with a large upgraded battery. it must be 10 yrs old. I would have replaced it sooner, but it won't die. I tried a cheap knockoff to get a 2nd light but the wiring was cr*p so I recycled that battery but kept that head (but I never use it). I wear a bright headlamp around my neck as backup (turned off). depending on my helmet, I can wear that around my forehead. it's usually just off, hanging around my neck for the hour or two I'm riding. last night I used it a cpl times by hand looking around during some easy sections

I love the creepy sounds in the woods, like animals taking off or weird howling. saw a few deer too. a cpl years ago I saw a coyote run across my path just ahead of me. man those are fleet-of-foot, looked like he just danced up & over the raised berm I was riding. with a smile on his face no less ...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was using my original magic shine last week, but with wide angle lens and a Yinding 2xU2 which is a cracker of a light.

Must say the Halfords Bikehut 1600s are good.

saw the owl again. I stopped & it took off. I shud have just kept riding like last night. this is a frame grab from the video. the fly away is only recognizeable in video format. but the vid is so poor it's not worth sharing. if he's gonna be this predictable, I can take a vid w/ my phone

owl bike 1.jpg

I have a really nice photo of one that lives in my back yard. but the mystique of a moving interaction w/ one at night is almost more fun

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was using my original magic shine last week, but with wide angle lens and a Yinding 2xU2 which is a cracker of a light.

Must say the Halfords Bikehut 1600s are good.
I've just bought a 1600 as my Fluxient has started flickering and dimming occasionally. So far, I'm quite impressed with it. My only gripe is that the outfront mount is for Garmin so is useless for my Wahoo, sadly.
I can't afford to be without a reliable light on my night rides as they're usually along unlit roads.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A lot of UK riders have had owls fly along beside them at night.

Never happened to me, but I've seen quite a few Barn Owls around dawn/dusk in more rural areas. If you pick one out in your headlight it's pretty amazing :-)

I was on an Audax in deepest darkest Kent a few years back with a few other CC'ers and YACF'ers.
Cycling down a country lane late afternoon, a golden barn owl swooped down into the road, picked something up and flew directly in front of us for a while. A stunning sight.

Top Bottom