riding at night, anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I will be heading off to work in about ten minutes (or as soon as I finish this cuppa). ^_^

Last edited:
I like night riding but it tends to be restricted to moseying around the quiet city rather than the longer more rural routes I'd typically do recreationally in the daylight.. not sure why.
I like to keep nite rides manageable too. close to home, shorter, etc. emergency services are more difficult to ring for. also if you wind up in a ditch, your more likely to be seen/heard during the day. same advice goes for my Daughter driving 100-220 miles to see her boyfriend! :-)

LJR69

Yup, been out several times including last evening. Both my mate and I rode some natural trails we've done a million times, got lost, didn't care, rode through a puddle that went up to our muddle (almost), and generally got covered in crap. Only did 9 miles but it was bloody awesome fun.

More fun than cleaning the bike today was. :smile:

LJR69

Even when I don't have time to do a full clean of the bike I always do the forks, rear shock and chain. Once the forks are clean I spray a bit of Muc-Off Silicon Shine on them

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just had to wash two MTB's this lunch. Blurgh. Silicon on the seals shortly now the bikes have dried off.

I did spray both with Protect and Shine before riding, and it helped with a quick hose I did, mud just fell off. Still needed a wash though.

LJR69

I've noticed the crap comes off a lot easier when the bikes have been sprayed with Silicon.

Silicon on the seals
I can't find the product, what I have is in a tiny dish, I think it's called fork grease. I wipe the upper stanchions with a clean cloth or paper towel, compress the fork a cpl times, wipe the upper stanchions again, then use a q-tip to apply a tiny bit of the grease all around the upper stanchions where the seals are, compress the fork a cpl times, then wipe the upper stanchions 1 last time. I think this is better than what I used to do, which was nothing ;-)

edit I think this is the stuff, I'll have to double check at home

CONPANNA FORK GREASE

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I like to keep nite rides manageable too. close to home, shorter, etc. emergency services are more difficult to ring for. also if you wind up in a ditch, your more likely to be seen/heard during the day. same advice goes for my Daughter driving 100-220 miles to see her boyfriend! :-)
Indeed; as much as I generally think the world is a nicer place with 90% of the people removed, I guess I'm a hypocrite in that my reservations boil down to what you suggest - the reduced ability to rely on others for help should you stack it. I guess there's also the consideration that in the unfortunate circumstance of being on the receiving end of someone else's anger / stupidity they're more likely to get away with it and the outcome for you is likely less favourable..

I also find it a bit disconcerting riding in unlit areas in the dark, but I guess that's probably just down to my lighting being borderline fit for purpose re. actually seeing where I'm going!

Not happy about doing my normal rides round here in the dark
actually I don't have a good enough front light to illuminate a dark path - but I wouldn't anyway as there have been a few occasions where cyclists have been attacked in the evening and pushed into the canal - then the bike is stolen

In the light I don't think they are likely to attack a grown man - they normally pick on kids or women - so I keep to the route and keep an eye out.

but in the dark I would feel nervous

and anyway - that canal hasn't been navigable for decades so $deity knows what is in it!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Night riding in open country in pitch dark is fantastic. I've just nipped out into the garden with my LED light and am amazed at how bright it is.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Offroad rides in the dark are full of strange noises out of sight - can definitely make the heart beat faster. Dark roads don't have the same effect.
But all routes can be fun at night.

Top Bottom