riding at night, anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just bought a 1600 as my Fluxient has started flickering and dimming occasionally. So far, I'm quite impressed with it. My only gripe is that the outfront mount is for Garmin so is useless for my Wahoo, sadly.
I can't afford to be without a reliable light on my night rides as they're usually along unlit roads.

You can usually change mounts for the Hope Universal mount (at Chain reaction). I don't have the Halfords, but have ridden with two peeps that have it, and it's good, although one changed his stock mount for a metal mount which was rock solid.

I'll be dusting off my C&B Seen City slicker front light tomorrow (self contained with batteries) - not really given it a long run-time for some years, and it's about 7 years old now, so hoping the batteries last (I will have the Yinding 2xU2 as well). My C&B has a Hope mount as standard.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
maybe you can use an accessory like this? or maybe I'm not understanding the issue

View attachment 558763
The 600 comes with a mount like this. The light can attach easily, albeit upside down, under the Garmin that I don't have.

@fossyant 's solution should work, though 👍🏼

fossyant

since I glued a camera mount to 3 helmets, I'd like to choose 1 helmet & figure out a light mount that points at the same thing my camera is looking at. I guess something like this. no idea how, maybe if I use a wine bottle cork ...

View attachment 558766

That's a lot of gubbins on your noggin. Not keen on anything on my lid given the number of low branches I hit.

That's a lot of gubbins on your noggin. Not keen on anything on my lid given the number of low branches I hit.
haha yes! I do have to remember to duck lower going under branches! I was doing some bush-whacking this summer & rode too high under a branch. the glued camera mount broke right off but I was fine. glad it broke off so easily. it was running at the time so the vid is kinda funny at the 7:17 mark

View: https://youtu.be/z8SyQ3CNQlE

the camera is light & centered so it's not uncomfortable. the light is light (that's funny) but I hope adding it to the front like that doesn't make it front heavy & awkward. more head scratching in my future I think

fossyant

Just doing a test of my spare 4-cells. I have two packs that sit in hard plastic cases that I can remove and charge on a smart charger if I need to. These have been excellent as the cells are panasonic, and both ran for 3 hours last week.

I have 5 other packs (cheap ones) that I'm testing now for run time. One has failed completely - split the pack up, and 2 cells are dead, but two are charging, so the working cells will be for my Trustfire torch.

I now have 3 packs running 3 lights on low, outside on the stone floor, so we'll see how long they last !

I was only running on medium most of the three hours last week.

LJR69

Nevermind testing...just strap the lot to your front bars. That should do the trick! :biggrin:

well, if the rubber bands don't explode, I have my prototype ready for phase 1 testing

IMG_5943.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG

IMG_5945.JPG

unfortunately I don't usually have my battery's extension wire with me. consequently I have to strap it to the helmet. but this battery is enormous. now I feel like a deep sea diver, ugh

IMG_5950.JPG

getting the aim centered with the camera was the final trick

aim.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Test results so far. 3 lights have run on low setting for 3.5 hours, 1 battery was the original magicshine and was still on orange.

Quite happy as only one of the packs was duff and some haven't been used for ages as I have the replaceable cell packs.

The C&B seen has been run on high for 3 hours and has just gone red, so this is a good test for tomorrow, would estimate another hour run time. Super high isn't much brighter. Quite pleased as the light is quite old now and not had much use for last 5 years. The batteries being Panasonic seem to have held up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom