riding at night, anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Its strange I arrived home a couple nights ago and said to swmbo that it doesnt seem as dark as last year. Two thirds of my route is on rural country lanes and normally pitch black. Quite like riding at night though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't want too much light, especially where things get 'technical' as you get too much glare and bounce back. Been out on proper night rides for the last 3 weeks, and I'm running on level two of three at most, even on some gnarly descents.

macp

Guru
You don't want too much light, especially where things get 'technical' as you get too much glare and bounce back. Been out on proper night rides for the last 3 weeks, and I'm running on level two of three at most, even on some gnarly descents.
Would agree with that but can I congratulate you on the correct use of 'too' in your sentence. See it all the time where folks write to. Really irritates me. As you were ^_^

I never get home in daylight at this time of year. I am generally riding off road except for the last mile. Dog is nuisance needs at least 2 preferably 3 hours exercise a night. Used to cycle home from pub past midnight now I can't be bothered just get a bus to town and taxi home.

On one pub run an owl used fly to my right. When I look again it would be gone. I would be above my head looking along the beam occasionally flying past and onto the ground to pick up a nice morsel.

You don't want too much light
broke down & bought an upgraded light head with more juice. but also a better beam pattern spread. been wondering about that equation: brightness vs beam pattern. my current light has a terrible pattern, too circular & too much of a hot spot in the center & when I add the wide angle diffuser, I'm disappointed with the lower apparent brightness, even tho the spread of light is quite nice

LJR69

What did you get?

I just bought a Ravemen 1600 - will try it on Thursday. I just need a half decent helmet light now

half decent helmet light
I've read, for nite MTB'ing, a big bright flood on the bars is good if you have a helmet light w/ more "throw" I think that means more of a spot beam. with the two going one would have the best of all worlds. except maybe a drone following you with lights & cameras ... hahaha

nite drone.jpg

LJR69

That looks the doozy! So you've got that on your noggin, what light do you have on your handlebars to go with it?

Top Bottom