riding at night, anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Riding at night can be a beautiful and calming experience. The road is lit up by the stars, which offer a mesmerizing and peaceful atmosphere. The steady hum of the wheels as they roll along the tarmac create a gentle rhythm that helps to clear one's mind. One can almost feel the energy of the night air as it flows around you, creating an almost meditative state. It's a beautiful thing to experience the beauty and flow of night riding.

nagden

Über Member
Most of my riding is done first thing in the morning so at this time of the year my first hour or so is in the dark. I cycle on famiar routes in a very rural area. I have a good lighting set up and wear lots of reflective clothing and have found the few motorists I encounter to be very respectful. I love it, it's very peaceful and I have seen some amazing wildlife.

simongt

Guru
Because of my shifts, I currently commute 'in the dark' both ways. However, for some years, I've been hooked with the idea of night rides during a full moon which when I retire at the end of May, I shall start doing. Good lights, quite roads, a flask and snack box. :okay:
The only minor drawback is if your route takes you through a village which may well be lit up like Jodrell Bank - !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I cycled in the very early mornings 4 miles to Helensburgh when I was a postie for a 6AM start. The main road in those days was pretty quiet and even with my rudimentary lights I never had a problem.

On Mull I often did a forestry road after dark which needed good lights but was enjoyable. It was 12miles of which 5 were on tarmac.
The cycle club had keys for the locked gates in case of emergencies as this was a popular daytime run and was also used for MB races so if anyone had serious problems or got injured a vehicle could get access.

got out last night. so peaceful
nite grass.jpg

nite lite.jpg

wandered the forest trails near my home for a solid 2 hrs. 28F degrees wasn't bad at all
ride-by toward.jpg

even managed to stay dry ;-)
shallow splash.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
getting in my rides after work, probably won't need lites much longer
View attachment 678245

hmmm, wondering why this photo doesn't display ... :blink:

dusk-jpg.jpg

If it happens in future, right click, copy the image address, paste and then put [ img ]
at the start and [ /img ] at the end

Remove the spaces from in between the brackets.

Last edited:

CharleyFarley

The Florida heat has already made itself known. For over a week it ranged from 98f (37c) and as high as 101f (38c). I have to take advantage of the winter period for longer rides. A couple of nights ago I did my usual 4 miles ride on a local dead end road, and it was 88f (31c), quite comfortable as long as it's not humid. So I thought to myself, why not do a longer ride when it drops to 88f? It would mean coming back in the dark.

So I planned my route which took me on the other side of a new, elevated expressway being built. Most of the ride would be a route with which I'm familiar but doing it the other way around, nothing seems the same. During the time I was out, it got dark. Streets looked much different than what I was used to, and doing it reverse, soon got me lost.
This is a big county with lots of zigging and zagging around the neighborhoods.

Although the sun had gone down and it was cool, I began to sweat, not knowing where I was, and with thousands of car headlights dazzling me as I rode the sidewalks against the flow of traffic. By time I got home, 13.5 miles later, I was exhausted from the tension. And the wife was worried because she was out when I left for the ride, and had left her a note to say I was doing a run.

So I gained more experience. Will I do it, again? Yes, the next time hell freezes over.

The Florida heat has already made itself known. For over a week it ranged from 98f (37c) and as high as 101f (38c). I have to take advantage of the winter period for longer rides. A couple of nights ago I did my usual 4 miles ride on a local dead end road, and it was 88f (31c), quite comfortable as long as it's not humid. So I thought to myself, why not do a longer ride when it drops to 88f? It would mean coming back in the dark.

So I planned my route which took me on the other side of a new, elevated expressway being built. Most of the ride would be a route with which I'm familiar but doing it the other way around, nothing seems the same. During the time I was out, it got dark. Streets looked much different than what I was used to, and doing it reverse, soon got me lost.
This is a big county with lots of zigging and zagging around the neighborhoods.

Although the sun had gone down and it was cool, I began to sweat, not knowing where I was, and with thousands of car headlights dazzling me as I rode the sidewalks against the flow of traffic. By time I got home, 13.5 miles later, I was exhausted from the tension. And the wife was worried because she was out when I left for the ride, and had left her a note to say I was doing a run.

So I gained more experience. Will I do it, again? Yes, the next time hell freezes over.

You need some sort of satnav just in case you get lost
In an emergency I use my phone and carry compact, light headphones in my bag just in case
Has saved me a couple of time - although not as scary as yours!

CharleyFarley

You need some sort of satnav just in case you get lost
In an emergency I use my phone and carry compact, light headphones in my bag just in case
Has saved me a couple of time - although not as scary as yours!

I don't mind getting lost, but it's the nighttime with such heavy traffic with headlights that made me sweat. I know where I went wrong. I'll just avoid being out in the dark. I have a phone but it isn't set up for navigation, only as a phone for emergencies.

I have a satnav for the car, and tried to use it, this morning, and found it was useless, with a large green arrow telling me to make a right, and the voice telling me to make a left and then another left, and then it told me I had arrived, still in the city. It's an old Tom Tom which used to be good but the battery had gone flat for lack of use, and couldn't point me to home. I was in the city of St. Petersburg, having just driven two interstate highways, and I was totally lost. So many one ways and lunatic drivers. Three times I stopped to ask people for directions but that didn't work out. I've actually been down that way on my bike, ten miles from home, but it doesn't look the same in a car.

I was checking out satnavs after I got home, and don't think it's worth getting one for the bike because they're quite expensive. I can easily find my way home in the daylight. It's a big county and I just found out we have 27 hospitals. That's why I was trying to find the right one in St. Petersburg. And I ended up leaving the city, once I found the right road out. Did I mention the lunatic drivers?

Gixxerman

Guru
Recently started night riding for the first time this winter. I mostly ride round the forest tracks near my home. I'm quite enjoying it, although the wildlife in the forest aren't given the noise they make. It seems that I am a lot faster in the dark. I'm sure it is just an illusion, but I'll take it lol. There is the hazard of dog walkers though, as I have almost ran over a few pooches running about off the lead that were hard to spot (especially one notable black labrador).

Top Bottom