riding at night, anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinoldncranky

Before I retired during the three winter months I would often be riding in the dark on the way to and back from work. There were always hundreds of wolf spiders along the path, those little jumping spiders whose eyes flash on and off intensely back to you. Counting them was a good way to kill the boredom of a long ride at the end of the day.

These wolf spiders seem to be spread across the planet. I see the same thing on evening rides in Europe.

Never in cities but everywhere else. A head mounted light is required.

That looks the doozy! So you've got that on your noggin, what light do you have on your handlebars to go with it?
nothing at the moment. but now that I have 2 lites been thinking of getting another battery. basically just moved the light from the bars to the helmet - for off road use only. my thinking is when I get back on road or a populated paved trail, I'll go back to the bars & use a diff. helmet. (retiring the original lite). but back to the woods ... will be re-evaluating my thoughts w/ future rides. w/ several inches of nasty snow/ice on the ground I know the woods will be a new challenge. winter conditions are so variable :cold::cursing::dry:

had a nice ride last night, before the storm. bitter cold. all the mud was frozen solid, no snow or ice, so the hazards were few & far between. the water at the exit inlet of this wildlife refuge was running liquid & shallow

Untitled 10 AAA.jpg

ACTP0697 AAA.JPG

I like the new light
ACTP0676 good frame.JPG

the beam pattern is square, which is a little weird. the camera doesn't pick up the detail in the peripheral areas. not sure where the color in this one came from
ACTP0719 AAA.JPG

did a cpl ride-bys
Untitled 3 AAA.jpg

Untitled 2 AAA.jpg

Untitled 8.jpg

these plant heads were hazards I think. they looked sharp

Untitled 6.jpg

Last edited:
Before I retired during the three winter months I would often be riding in the dark on the way to and back from work. There were always hundreds of wolf spiders along the path, those little jumping spiders whose eyes flash on and off intensely back to you. Counting them was a good way to kill the boredom of a long ride at the end of the day.These wolf spiders seem to be spread across the planet. I see the same thing on evening rides in Europe.Never in cities but everywhere else. A head mounted light is required.
oh man that is super creepy! don't think I've ever seen these, I'll have to look next spring/summer?

https://gizmodo.com/this-is-how-to-find-the-spiders-that-are-staring-at-you-1721584332

spent most of the day yesterday editing a truly boring video. but if you need help sleeping, these 6 minutes might help. put my old light on the bars, so now I can use both!

View: https://youtu.be/LgufvtOyC2w

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I love night riding, otherwise I wouldn’t be doing so many of the longer brevets all these years. Here’s some photos from riding a brevet through the night in August 2020. I finished about 11am and I got home around 1 pm next day. First photo is around midnight and last photo the sunrise is about 40 mins away to give idea of timing.

There’s something special about riding through sunsets, the night and then sunrises.
095D367A-FF4A-41AD-AFBE-00803F1EA9FB.jpeg

B4EDF1F6-52F1-450E-AFDC-4AF880071411.jpeg

7AD0F192-6AE7-4478-B653-661ECE5A3EC8.jpeg

I love night riding, otherwise I wouldn’t be doing so many of the longer brevets all these years. Here’s some photos from riding a brevet through the night in August 2020. I finished about 11am and I got home around 1 pm next day. First photo is around midnight and last photo the sunrise is about 40 mins away to give idea of timing.

There’s something special about riding through sunsets, the night and then sunrises.
wow! I might try that some night ...!

Top Bottom