Riding Back From Hull - April 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
is it really 'only' 300km from Hull to London

that sounds rather good value for such a heroic sounding trip, and flat you say?

I think I've managed 200k twice now so I might be good for this, 23 hours sounds a bt larey though, how much of it will be in the dark?

silly cheap train fares up there?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Depending if I can get the time off, could be interested...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
is it really 'only' 300km from Hull to London

that sounds rather good value for such a heroic sounding trip, and flat you say?

I think I've managed 300k twice now so I might be good for this, 23 hours sounds a bt larey though, how much of it will be in the dark?
Via michelin gives the shortest distance as 200miles, which is sort of 300k. That distance last April took me 18 hours and a bit. The days are about 16 hours long from memory. Do the maths. Many doing the FNRttC York-Hull will get the train up so early purchase of ticket would seem a good idea.....

mmmmartin

Random geezer
[QUOTE 1618521, member: 3143"]don't rides that qualify for a SR series have to be the official BRM, BR (whatever the official thing of audax thingie's is) rather then a DIY ride.[/quote]
Not at all, an SR can be done by riding all "perms" (unless you are chasing after points in which case the 50% rule applies but please don't ask me more).
but those wishing to do this ride as an audax ride would enter it as doing a "perm" and send an entry to John Hamilton and ride along the route of the London-Edinburgh-London event due in 2013. They will need to provide proof of passage and a GPS track can do that, or receipts from cash machines, shops, etc.
The orgs are keen to get feedback on the route and routesheet, while riders are keen to get to know the route because by the time I get to the Humber Bridge I'll have ridden 1,100k and be utterly out on my feet and unable to think straight so a bit of familiarity won't go amiss.
Of course, some riders might just want to ride back without bothering with all this complicated audax perm entry palaver, and good luck to them.

StuAff

Not that unsurprising. Definitely not flat, the OSM route (Hull station to Waterloo) Bikeroutetoaster came up with 2958ft of climbing in 183.25 miles, in two very lumpy sections.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Just to clear up any queries, this is the email I've had regarding this ride and LEL entries:

Hi Martin,

That sounds fine. Normal DIY rules apply when planning your route, use the LEL route as a guide and then put your controls in to make sure of the distance (you may need some extra ones as the actual LEL route doesn't always follow the shortest route all the time). There's a detailed route sheet on the LEL DIY pages, and the stages are plotted out on RouteYou (link in the info doc on the AUK perm listing).

From memory I think Loughton to the bridge is just under 300k, so you might be a bit short. You can always extend at either end to make up the distance e.g. start from Hull rather than Hessle or continue further into London or off to a convenient train station etc.

GPS validation is fine, just let me know when you send your entry form which you prefer.

We're not expecting to start taking entries for LEL until early 2013.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I have come to the conclusion, Cycle Chat and all these rides booked up for next year, 22 so far, is the reason why I am still single, have no social life and not had a kebab for months, as up stupidly early, means no late nights drinking.......

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Im up for this though it all depends on the weather and what Im doing , how Im going to get there blah blah blah. It early in the cycling season to say yes for me as I plan my cycling on a monthly basis so I will let you know nearer the time if thats Ok ?

Thanks

John

Should this be in the audax thread ?

StuAff

I have come to the conclusion, Cycle Chat and all these rides booked up for next year, 22 so far, is the reason why I am still single, have no social life and not had a kebab for months, as up stupidly early, means no late nights drinking.......

Pardon? Hadn't realised you were on your own for all these rides ;)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
how Im going to get there
This was conceived as the return leg of a FNRttC event, from York to Hull. So getting to the start for me involves being part of The Fridays, with Dellzeqq signing me up, getting the train to York for a midnight start, being part of the safety talk at the start, doing the ride to Hull, having a fat boy breakfast, etc.
Should this be in the audax thread ?
Possibly, but then again it is taking place after a FNRttC ends, rather than an audax in its own right. Having said that, it is also an audax in its own right as it is nothing to do with The Fridays, as that event has finished when we start the ride home. Confused? I am.:evil:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
This was conceived as the return leg of a FNRttC event, from York to Hull.
Possibly, but then again it is taking place after a FNRttC ends, rather than an audax in its own right. Having said that, it is also an audax in its own right as it is nothing to do with The Fridays, as that event has finished when we start the ride home. Confused? I am.:evil:

Don't be confused. It's just a typical Saturday (or Sunday in this case) Morning Ride back to Home. They take place after every Friday Night Ride to the Coast, this one is just a bit longer and can be submitted as an Audax if you like.

Top Bottom