Riding Back From Hull - April 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Don't be confused. It's just a typical Saturday (or Sunday in this case) Morning Ride back to Home. They take place after every Friday Night Ride to the Coast, this one is just a bit longer and can be submitted as an Audax if you like.

I agree more with multi-m Martin as I think they are quite different and that it is important to be clear which it is that you are doing!

Saturday morning ride back is a group thing where people tend to ride together and wait for each other. An audax is all about individual challenge and self-sufficiency.
For example, take the ride that several of us did to Cardiff: we left Harefield at 8am and it took us until around 7pm to do the hundred and a bit miles to the Severn Bridge. We would have been out of time if it had been an audax. But we rode as a group and stopped to help each other with punctures, and had a good time. If I'd ridden it as an audax I would have wanted my average speed including breaks to be close to 15mph, rather than less than 10mph, and I wouldn't have expected anyone to stop to help me fix a puncture.

If I were doing a 300km ride as an audax, I would allow 15 hours for it. As a group ride with friends, I'd allow at least 19 hours.

I'd strongly recommend anyone getting into audax to do a couple of calendar events to get the hang of it before doing permanents and DIYs!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Im with MartinT here... it's a SMRbTH is it not?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I agree more with multi-m Martin as I think they are quite different and that it is important to be clear which it is that you are doing!

Saturday morning ride back is a group thing where people tend to ride together and wait for each other. An audax is all about individual challenge and self-sufficiency.
For example, take the ride that several of us did to Cardiff: we left Harefield at 8am and it took us until around 7pm to do the hundred and a bit miles to the Severn Bridge. We would have been out of time if it had been an audax. But we rode as a group and stopped to help each other with punctures, and had a good time. If I'd ridden it as an audax I would have wanted my average speed including breaks to be close to 15mph, rather than less than 10mph, and I wouldn't have expected anyone to stop to help me fix a puncture.

If I were doing a 300km ride as an audax, I would allow 15 hours for it. As a group ride with friends, I'd allow at least 19 hours.

I'd strongly recommend anyone getting into audax to do a couple of calendar events to get the hang of it before doing permanents and DIYs!

I think at this stage we should treat it as a social SMRbtH. If anyone feels the ride is going too slowly for them to achieve their own personal objective then they can leave the group behind, it doesn't matter what their objective is.

I for one intend to do some calendar audax before this as that forms my objectives for 2012. With regards to this ride, it would be good to use it as a 300km audax however at this stage, 5 months beforehand, I'm thinking of just enjoying the ride.

I don't think we need to overplan it too much yet.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I think at this stage we should treat it as a social SMRbtH
That sort of ride involves regrouping, No Man Left Behind, helping with punctures, no care for minimum average speed or time limits. Frank9755 is correct - audax is very different - about self-sufficiency and time limits. If you get into trouble, you should be able to sort it out yourself, or if you feel strong, you motor on ahead. On an audax each person needs to be sure they can fix a puncture or replace a spoke in a rainstorm at night in a gale. Although obviously small and informal groups do form and stick together - but not en masse like the FNRttC.
I don't think we need to overplan it too much yet.
Agreed. Some may wish to do a SMRbtH and make their own route back while others - probably those planning to ride LEL in 2013 - may go for the discipline of audax with time limits, proof of passage and following the LEL routesheet.

frank9755

Cyclist
Lee,

I'm not sure what your point is.

If you are saying that you think there is no difference between an audax and a fun ride then I disagree with you and think that neither my PBP ride nor the MK 600 are good examples to support such a view. FYI I am familiar with that thread on YACF, know some of the riders involved, considered (briefly) joining it and have pretty clear idea what such a ride would be like.

But whatever you are saying, it would be more pleasant if you could put the point across in a less offensive way! Please.

Tynan

Veteran
sort of 300k and that by the shortest distance

the only irk for me, aside from the riding, would be cost of hotel and trains

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
sort of 300k and that by the shortest distance

the only irk for me, aside from the riding, would be cost of hotel and trains

Hotel? What you need a hotel for? It's a SMRbtH.....So do the FNRttC, then cycle back to the smoke..

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hotel? What you need a hotel for? It's a SMRbtH.....So do the FNRttC, then cycle back to the smoke..

At the moment the plan is to ride back to London on the Sunday having spent a semi-social Saturday in Hull

Tynan

Veteran
so ride from York overnight to Hull and then on to London the following day with no kip?

I suppose it avoids the risk of a semi social

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
At the moment we're definitely still planning. My personal preference if I can work it is to cycle to york on the Friday, do the FNRttC, have a few beers with Simon, TC et al, sleep in a travelodge or similar then cycle back to London on Sunday. Sleep on Monday

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Recommendation/suggestion RE hotel: There's an Ibis in Hull, they do breakfasts from 4.30 (continental) and 6.30 (full buffet). An early start would be better AFAIK. Premier Inns don't start serving till 8.00 (and will be considerably more expensive for the room- Ibis is £30). Not sure about the Travelodges, website's bit vague on that point.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Recommendation/suggestion RE hotel: There's an Ibis in Hull, they do breakfasts from 4.30 (continental) and 6.30 (full buffet). An early start would be better AFAIK. Premier Inns don't start serving till 8.00 (and will be considerably more expensive for the room- Ibis is £30). Not sure about the Travelodges, website's bit vague on that point.

Yup agree with Stu re early start.
And of course the hotel would need to be bike friendly.
Costs would also be cheaper if people are willing to share a twin room.

Top Bottom