Riding exercise bikes at the gym

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bad dance music and shouty bints ruin the classes for me, and ruin the gym for me when the classes are on.

Quite like a go on a spin bike as a warm-up though and do the odd session on them.

But then I walk the whole 200yds to the gym.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
10 years ago, I carried out research into the possibility of using a fixed wheel gym bike as a launch vehicle for Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic space tourism project!

Initial trials were encouraging - in tests, I found that if I pedalled at 125 rpm for 10 minutes and then stopped dead to go to use a nearby Concept2 rowing machine, the kinetic energy stored in the bike's 50 pound flywheel was more than capable of lifting my lardy 15 stone body off the saddle and throwing me across the gym like a sack of spuds.

It soon became obvious, however, that a cadence of at least 275,000 rpm would be needed to attain escape velocity and that would have necessitated a training programme so intense that few would-be space tourists would be willing to contemplate it.

The gym bike launcher project was finally abandoned when finite element analysis revealed a fatal flaw in the concept - without 1,000 years worth of seriously nasty genetically-engineered modification, the human knee would never be strong enough to withstand the forces necessary to achieve low Earth orbit. Even stopping dead from a lowly 125 rpm cadence had been almost enough to rip my lower legs off. The last thing that the Branson organisation wanted was for their millionaire space tourists to be battered to death by the bloody ends of their legs flailing about like nunchucks from the pedals of the launch bikes! :whistle:

Linford

10 years ago, I carried out research into the possibility of using a fixed wheel gym bike as a launch vehicle for Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic space tourism project!

Initial trials were encouraging - in tests, I found that if I pedalled at 125 rpm for 10 minutes and then stopped dead to go to use a nearby Concept2 rowing machine, the kinetic energy stored in the bike's 50 pound flywheel was more than capable of lifting my lardy 15 stone body off the saddle and throwing me across the gym like a sack of spuds.

It soon became obvious, however, that a cadence of at least 275,000 rpm would be needed to attain escape velocity and that would have necessitated a training programme so intense that few would-be space tourists would be willing to contemplate it.

The gym bike launcher project was finally abandoned when finite element analysis revealed a fatal flaw in the concept - without 1,000 years worth of seriously nasty genetically-engineered modification, the human knee would never be strong enough to withstand the forces necessary to achieve low Earth orbit. Even stopping dead from a lowly 125 rpm cadence had been almost enough to rip my lower legs off. The last thing that the Branson organisation wanted was for their millionaire space tourists to be battered to death by the bloody ends of their legs flailing about like nunchucks from the pedals of the launch bikes! :whistle:

That would be the ultimate clipless moment :biggrin:

You are obviously a space cadet of the highest order. Live long and prosper ;)

Linford

What's a gym anyway?

Somewhere I went until I got fed up of paying for it. I'd rather walk the dog in the rain or push a pushchair up one of the big hills around here than stare at someone elses sweaty bum crack whilst they grunt their way through an hour or so of self imposed torture

U

User482

I quite happily sit in my nice warm car , heater on , electric seats on , radio tuned to Rock FM as i drive the 4 miles from work to spinning , i love my car as well as my bike so as i go there tonight in the rain and cold i am quite happy to sit deep in my heated seat.
Why do people on here sneer at cars ? i ride my bike for pleasure not because i have to , i also go scuba diving each month and do it for pleasure but i dont sit in the bath watching TV through a mask and snorkel .
As someone who usually cycles, but occasionally drives a short commute, the bike wins every time. By the time you've scraped ice off your car , waited for the heater to warm up, fought your way through the traffic and found somewhere to park, I could've cycled to the office, got changed and be sitting at my desk with a nice cup of coffee.

Linford

Setting off for work @ 6@30, the roads are always empty and I head out of town,not into it so nevr get held up over the 5 miles. By the time I got dressed, the cycle out, and rode in, or alternatively suit up, get the m/bike out of its ground anchor, secured the garage etc etc, and then rode it to work, the car is always quicker. Going home in the rush hour is alway quicker on the m/bike than the other two with the cycle comparable to the car when the traffic is busy, but both bikes lose out when dressing and undressing, and bolting down are factored in. Next cycle will live in the house or be so chained down in the garage, they will just walk away.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I wouldn't go to a gym to use an exercise bike unless I had no bicycle to ride. I am going to the Velodrome in Manchester on Sunday night and it is rumored that a few of the guys have been going to spinning classes to try to improve their times without getting out on their bikes. My prep has been ride to work and back as fast as possible every day this week (it is a hilly route), day off on Saturday then see how we compare on the night. One thing I do know before the event is which form of preparation I would prefer to be doing.

MarkF

Guru
I think they are great, every year I join the gym for 3 months, Dec/Jan/Feb for only £69.

There are many winter days, snow, too icy, cold wind & rain whatever when the outdoor discomfort would outweigh my enjoyment and I just want to peddle away. The "bikes" keep my fitness up and the weights in those 3 months set up my upper body strength for the year too.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
As someone who usually cycles, but occasionally drives a short commute, the bike wins every time. By the time you've scraped ice off your car , waited for the heater to warm up, fought your way through the traffic and found somewhere to park, I could've cycled to the office, got changed and be sitting at my desk with a nice cup of coffee.

I am a fully paid up member of the commuting club , i start work everyday at 8.10am after cycling through the wind , rain and ice, dodging heavy traffic and looking like a hardened London Carrier rider, and all this starts at 8.08am , you see my office is exactly 650m from my house, so after whipping of the cover and peddling the mighty 0.65 of a KM i am also sat in the office drinking Coffee.
I just like to do the gym run during winter in the car.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident

A major flaw in this project, would be that for some reason to get on a spinning bike in a spinning class you also have to put the music on at 200-300 decibels of thumping drum and bass , and so at the critical moment of release your shouts of "Chocks away" would be totally drowned out, and you would end up setting fire to yourself due to mega friction, thus self combustion would occur, and all that would be left would be a pile off ash.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A major flaw in this project, would be that for some reason to get on a spinning bike in a spinning class you also have to put the music on at 200-300 decibels of thumping drum and bass , and so at the critical moment of release your shouts of "Chocks away" would be totally drowned out, and you would end up setting fire to yourself due to mega friction, thus self combustion would occur, and all that would be left would be a pile off ash.
Well, it wouldn't help would it! Not to mention, the blood pouring from one's ears ... (Oops - I just did!)

Stephenite

Membå
I get the OPs point, and i felt the same before i started going to the gym.

But.. I've been on parental leave the past three months*, and it's very practical to push the pram the six minutes to the gym, hand over the 'chublet' in the creche, get changed, and do an hour on the exercise bike. Wouldn't be able to get much exercise at all without it. My 1-year-old has two naps a day - the morning nap i biologically have to share with him, during his afternoon nap I'm doing housework. It's too snowy and icy in Norway to take him out on the bike, and i dont trust myself enough on skis to pull him behind me. So it's indoor pedal pushing and sweating for me for the foreseeable.

Also my little 'chublet' gets to snuggle in the breasts of 20-year-old swedish girls. (You know what i mean)

*Gloat, gloat. 3 months leave with pay. Fathers in UK get nowt.

Top Bottom