Riding in heat and humidity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
My bike arrived in Singapore a week ago, had a bit of fun rebuilding it, and have since been on a couple of nice rides (the tarmac here is sweet!)

How do you cope with the heat and humidity though? I like to ride quite hard, but within a few minutes I'm sweating like a monster!

By the time I get home I'm pouring, and it's still flooding off me even after a lengthy shower.

I guess I just have to put up with it, I mean I sweat just walking here.....

Any tips to make it better though?

rustychisel

You may not believe it right at the mo' but you will acclimatise. You'll still sweat like a pig but it won't seem such a problem. Or it will. In any case, ride early. Be home before the real heat of the day. Drink lots of water. Then drink some more: all that you sweat needs replacing. Take it easy getting into the regime of riding in a new climate, and perhaps find a group to ride with so they can keep an eye out for you.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You'll get used to it! Although getting 'acclimatised' will help you adapt to the strange feeling of always dripping with sweat, it will never decrease your need to keep drinking. In that sense it's not a true metabolic 'acclimatisation'.

Monitor your pee, and if it doubt drink some more. Be careful with planning your chosen rides that you always have access to a drink resupply when needed.

Eventually you will curse the air conditioning everywhere as it will seem too cold!

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I wish I could ride early in the morning, but I just can't get up that early! (Don't say go to bed early, that's not going to happen)

There are some groups, but they go out at 5am, again, not happening.....

At the moment I'm riding at about 9 or 10pm, not too hot then, and the roads are quite clear......

Brock

Although advice seems to vary about this, I would certainly add a little extra salt to my diet when sweating a lot.

If your forehead drips as much as mine then a buff really helps to keep sweat out of the eyes and cools brilliantly as it wicks.

Try not to drip on your poor bike too much :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
proper wicking top?

pissed it down my last three rides, there's humidity

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Got a job out here, market research....

Lots of travel, country that functions, can't complain!

Top Bottom