Riding in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I must admit this time of year I do quite like riding in the rain. Not to cold so nice on the extremities. Enjoyed a nice 45 minutes in it. Cars giving me a wide berth, probably thinking "look at that loon, what's he grinning at!"

Anyone else enjoying the rain? To be fair we haven't had much of the stuff the last twelve months.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No, if it rains the bike stays at home. I do not like the rain, which is unfortunate since I live in the west of Scotland. We have had PLENTY of the stuff in the last 12 months. Ironically today while you lot are being rained on, I was out doing 60 DRY miles :smile:.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
For me it is that point where you look out and see it raining and think "no, not for me". On the opposite hand if it is dry when I set out but then it rains I don't mind it in the slightest. Mental thing I should learn to get over, after all it's only water!!!

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
You do need a decent set of overshoes, and Rain jacket. Also waterproof cover for your rucksack or pannier. Then your good to go. I find it quite refreshing, unless it's winter and -1 then I'm not so keen, but this time of year it's fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I actually love the torrential down pours - when i have the full waterproofs on. Big grin on my face.

Can't stand it when it can't decide what to do.

Edwards80

Über Member
The only difference it makes to me is that I wear a waterproof jacket and overshoes. . . oh - I leave myself more room to stop too :smile:

Quite like it really.

PK99

Legendary Member
I must admit this time of year I do quite like riding in the rain. Not to cold so nice on the extremities. Enjoyed a nice 45 minutes in it. Cars giving me a wide berth, probably thinking "look at that loon, what's he grinning at!"

Anyone else enjoying the rain? To be fair we haven't had much of the stuff the last twelve months.

I take your point on a short rainy ride, but i was scheduled to ride Wimbledon to Winchester today and the prospect of rain all day was too much to contemplate!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This morning I said f*** it. I'm taking the train.
Broke a spoke last night, hurt my knee grinding home after that as I didn't want to put too much through the wheel.

Hate the rain, not beause I get wet, but it just ruins your bike. Strips the oil from the chain, gets grit in every place which if left un touched wears out your stuff, makes me clean my bike, re lube etc etc,

I wished it never rained at all. We just desalinated the water. I hate it.

Must calm down, must clam down LOL!

caimg

Über Member
I went out after having said to the OH 'I bet it'll rain as soon as I leave' and yet I went out without waterproofs or a jacket. 10 mins later I was being pelted by hail and had to stop for 10 mins under a shop shelter.

Benefit was that there were fewer cyclists doing the Regents park loop which meant I wasn't being passed every 2 mins :tongue:

Top Bottom