Riding in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
First week of commuting in the rain after 3 months, not bad coming in with waterproofs on just horrid getting home soaking and having to dry everything. Gotta be done though.

potsy

Rambler
Rained for most of my ride home this morning, thankfully this time I was a good little boy scout and was fully 'proofed up :angel: :rain:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Then it gets on my specs and I can't see anything. Why can't someone patent windscreen wipers for short sighted cyclists? Cars have had this feature for a very long time.

They have done! ^_^ ...............

elton_john_wiper_glasses.jpg

Although you might be better off using a car based product such as Rain-X on your current glasses. It works well on windscreens, causing rain to run off. Don't know if it would be so successful on a bike, unless you can reach 60mph :smile:.

I agree with those who say it's OK as long as you're in the right gear.

That's why I usually take the fixed-gear fixie out in the rain.

Fubar

Guru
Commuted to work in the rain this morning, wasn't too bad though a bit worried I wouldn't stop going downhill to one particular junction! I was determined I would cycle to work today, rain wind or hail - after reading this yesterday I felt a right wimp!

paulw1969

Ridley rider
i was lucky yesterday, rained round here all day, stopped before i left for home, just a few spots during the ride then lashed it down again just after i got home!
Not so lucky this morning two minutes out and its lashing it down with the wind in my face and bloody cold rain (were talking 6am) not pleasant.
Dont mind either really just not both rain and wind together, and contrary to other posters i find drivers are more dangerous I.E. too close etc in the rain.

Being new to commuting again i find i am dissuaded from getting on the bike if its raining and windy in other words crap weather and i'll get in the car because its easy to.......when i move site it will have to be a bus ride so i suspect i will be more willing to get on the bike in crap weather!!

Col5632

Guru
Rained the whole way home from seeing the gf on monday night but it never really bothered me tbh :thumbsup:

I try to cycle regardless of weather :bicycle:

Maylian

Veteran
I love cycling in the rain, not too bothered about which clothes to wear either. Probably due to the luxury of only having a 4 mile each way commute, although quite often put it up to 12 with a daily detour.

I find I cycle fastest, probably less friction :blush: and wanting to keep warm. I also like seeing other cyclist lights in the distance, gives me something to target. On the other hand it makes me slightly more nervous filtering, especially if I'm trying to slip down the inside (I know I shouldn't)

WIND however I absolutely despise!

headcoat

Über Member
Personally I like the rain as long as it's on the way home and I don't have to sit in wet clothes all day. I even go out for a ride when it lashes down....part of the reason being is that I tend to ride car-free areas and it means there are also no pedestrians.

Its got to be warm though!

Top Bottom