Riding in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Add fecking great big (poetic license) hail stones to my list, they felt like I was being machined gunned with a BB gun. April in Surrey/Sussex!

Brakes what brakes? My 105 brakes have been non existent (well worse than they were before) since I changed the shifter too 5700 paired with 5600.

Fubar

Guru
Well after tonights commute home I am no longer a Wet Virgin! Or a Dry Tart (not sure which is worse!). Halfway home in clement weather with the sun peeking through, back to Fife and the heavens opened all the way home - soaked! Wasn't too bad, found out I'm still crap on hills whether it's wet or dry.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
having to wear specs in the rain is a royal pain.......i'm short sighted so not wearing them is not really an option......i digress but been looking at Rudy Project specs tonight on the interweb because my normal glasses are too drafty on my eyes......not cheap:whistle: (had a pair of these over 20 years ago, they weren't cheap then! and i lost them/they got nicked after only two weeks after buying them).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well after tonights commute home I am no longer a Wet Virgin! Or a Dry Tart (not sure which is worse!). Halfway home in clement weather with the sun peeking through, back to Fife and the heavens opened all the way home - soaked! Wasn't too bad, found out I'm still crap on hills whether it's wet or dry.
Eh, eh, I've seen myself stopping halfway to put waterproof trousers on .... it was lovely when I started my journey: that's the scottish weather for us!

I don't mind the commute home with a light mist right up to a heavy downpour but on the way to work anything more than drizzle sucks.
In the summer during a rain shower the brush of a saved leg against a polished frame feels great.

mumbo jumbo

Rain plus strong wind is often incredibly painful - near enough the same as cycling in a hailstorm. But like others, I'm generally pretty happy cycling in rain.

subaqua

What’s the point
Add fecking great big (poetic license) hail stones to my list, they felt like I was being machined gunned with a BB gun. April in Surrey/Sussex!

Brakes what brakes? My 105 brakes have been non existent (well worse than they were before) since I changed the shifter too 5700 paired with 5600.

more likely to see snow/hail in April than at Christmas. just the way the weather systems work. the last 4 or 5 years we have had unseasonal spring weather. this is more like what it should be.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I read something a while (couple of years?) ago that said it doesn't rain as much as you'd think. That if you were to commute by bike you could count on being rained on 12 times in a year.
I've been thinking about that recently and for some reason the thoughts coupled with a strange smell of cattle......

Brandane

Legendary Member
I read something a while (couple of years?) ago that said it doesn't rain as much as you'd think. That if you were to commute by bike you could count on being rained on 12 times in a year.
I've been thinking about that recently and for some reason the thoughts coupled with a strange smell of cattle......

I read that somewhere on here. Clearly, it was NOT written by anyone who lives near the west coast of Scotland. Stay DRY 12 times in a year, maybe! :laugh:

hambones

Well I guess it would have to depend on the time spent commuting! Mine is 30 minutes each way and last year it rained on me 7 times...
So far this year it's rained 4 times (3 times this week). I have to admire a female colleague who has just started commuting by bike this month and she comes in 30 minutes later than me and has had 7 rain affected trips already!! :smile:

Edwards80

Über Member

This was brought up in another thread - I think some of us got up to 20 wet commutes counted each by the end of Feb :biggrin:

There are lies, damn lies and statistics :smile:

Top Bottom