Riding in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hmmm....
Just been to ‘The Weather Channel’ uk.weather.com Figured I’d see how long this is expected to last and have a look for the local 10 day weather forecast.
Showers, showers (pm), showers, showers, showers, scattered showers, showers, showers, showers, showers....

Might be enough to test even the most extreme of precipitation lovers?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Might be enough to test even the most extreme of precipitation lovers?

That struck me, too. Maybe when it only happens occassionally it might be quite enjoyable. When you get the stuff falling out the sky for weeks and months on end (we didn't get a summer last year while the SE of England got zero rain for months) then it gets very tedious. It wrecks your bike components, you have to wash/dry your cycling gear after every ride, you get cold, wet, can't see properly, drivers are even less likely to see you and don't expect you, roads are slippery; what's to like? As for wearing waterproofs; I have yet to find waterproofs that are TRULY waterproof, and you need a second mortgage to buy breathable ones. Maybe I'm just not dedicated enough, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy cycling in the rain. Same goes for golfing, walking, motorbiking, and everything else.

Give me some of this :sun: anytime, it is just sooooo much better!

Crankarm

Guru
That struck me, too. Maybe when it only happens occassionally it might be quite enjoyable. When you get the stuff falling out the sky for weeks and months on end (we didn't get a summer last year while the SE of England got zero rain for months) then it gets very tedious. It wrecks your bike components, you have to wash/dry your cycling gear after every ride, you get cold, wet, can't see properly, drivers are even less likely to see you and don't expect you, roads are slippery; what's to like? As for wearing waterproofs; I have yet to find waterproofs that are TRULY waterproof, and you need a second mortgage to buy breathable ones. Maybe I'm just not dedicated enough, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy cycling in the rain. Same goes for golfing, walking, motorbiking, and everything else.

Give me some of this :sun: anytime, it is just sooooo much better!

The only solution is to move south ..................;).

It has been raining for 10 days now at start and end of the day to co-incide with commuting times. I'm sick of getting wet weather gear on, off, on, off, off, on, putting wet gear on at the end of the day at work which hasn't dried and then doing two loads of washing when you get home, cleaning and lubing the bike transmission only for it to be totally washed off after 2 days. Give me dry sunny weather any day. The people on here who claim to like riding in the rain probably don't have to do their own washing or clean or lube their bikes or ride very much at all as has become evident in the past. But when you are riding 35 miles a day, 6 days a week, regular rain becomes a right PITA to ride in. If I could afford it I would rather drive all the way into work but at present half way is all I can justify with the GBW to ride along which saves about £5 a day in fuel.

defy-one

Even down South we are getting lots of showers. I just checked the 10 day forecast and it looks like a week tomorrow will have sunshine ????

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
and when will this drought end.....:whistle:

Sorry, got to say, I kind of hope the forecasts got it right and it isn't today :thumbsdown: Last night, I decided to cage it today after seeing todays forecast. It was for rain, but for this afternoon only.
After taking the dog for a walk this morning, it looked like great conditions for a ride :sad:

Really hope my ditching the ride is justified this pm

Jdratcliffe

Cycling in the rain is ok, but drying out my cycling shoes after is the problem, and that puts me off!
+ 1 that is the pain espesh if its on the commute and you need them for the next morning!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
+ 1 that is the pain espesh if its on the commute and you need them for the next morning!

I find if it's really heavy rain, I use overtrousers as well as the waterproof overshoes. The overtrousers stops the water entering the top of the overshoe. The down side is you can get a bit warm in you ride too quickly, but in heavy rain, I take it a bit easier. This stops the shoes getting soaked, and most importantly, rancid after a number of soakings. The less the shoes get soaked, the better.

My road shoes are currently on the radiator from yesterday. Fortunately I use SPD's for commuting, so had dry spares.

Leodis

Veteran
Checked last night and it seemed all good for Leeds today, started spitting on the way in and got heavier by the time I got to work. As mentioned its not the cycling in rain thats the problem its the drying of clothes for the next day and drying off the bike. I also get fed up with folding the soaking bikeparka up after work when all I want to do is get home.

Roll on some dry weather.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Yeah :-)
Looked doubtful last night, but I got my cycle gear out 'just in case'. Figured I'd check the forecast when I got up.
Not great, but good enough. If it was to be believed, I could get to work OK, getting back dry was more doubtful. So I went for it and the forecasters have got it spot on (so far)
Traffic wise its been an extremely uneventful day.
Weather wise.. it tried, it threatened. I kept looking up at a dark, grey sky and felt the occasional drop, but nowhere near enough to even qualify as 'spitting'. I get the feeling it'll be touch and go as to whether it gets its revenge on the way back.... not bothered. I don't mind it on the way home.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Heavy showers tonight, pretty heavy on your face rain tonight, running down the roads like a stream in the gutter. Got tsunami'd by a hgv, I found that amusing, it was in my mouth, ears lol.

More to come in the morning if the weather reports are right.

kyussmondo

I love cycling in the rain. Although I prefer cycling in the cold rain as even though my coat is breathable I still get to hot unless it is cold. Cycling to work I put my work clothes in the Ortlieb panniers and then shower and change when I get to work.

Top Bottom