riding like a noob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Some might suggest that I ride like a noob most days but today was exceptional

I suffered a near miss with another rider who was between cars and shot left across the bonnet of one, without looking, directly into my flank...at ramming speed.Some lightning reactions on both parts meant that we avoided a collision.

Thing is, it obviously shook me up because at the next lights I pulled away and just couldn't get my pedals seated and clipped in. Both pedals just slipping about and i was looking down wondering why... until I looked up to see that I was about an inch from a bollard in the central reservation. I had to put out my hand and slam on the brakes, back wheel came up and I somehow fumbled my way around the wrong side of it to avoid going arse over tit.

all very entertaining for those watching I*m sure but it struck me how off kilter a near miss can make you. Riding in heavy traffic takes a good deal of attention but also comfort, or confidence. if either are shaken its amazing how it can take its toll.

I was fine riding home, until my gear cable snapped...

You sound like you have about as much luck as ESA.

I know the feelin tho. I had to open the throttle on my 1200 motorcycle to avoid getting sideswiped by a ****prick car driver. It does leave you in a fight or flight mode feeling for a while after. I often say that other people will be the death of me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One of those days.

Had one last week. First time out 'for real' since my accident, and what did I do, crash. Stupid accident, over the bars on a small tree stump. At least my spine is healed.

macp

Guru
Yup I did something similar away from the lights a few weeks ago. Couldnt clip in and almost went flying right in front of a work colleague also a keen cyclist

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You sound like you have about as much luck as ESA.

I know the feelin tho. I had to open the throttle on my 1200 motorcycle to avoid getting sideswiped by a ****prick car driver. It does leave you in a fight or flight mode feeling for a while after. I often say that other people will be the death of me.
I was amazed at how, after about a decade of feeling like I have experienced it all, a small near miss from another cyclist could "upset" my nerves so easily.

There is something to be said for taking a stop after a near miss, just to get your head straight.

Top Bottom