Riding near Southport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kayjay

Regular
Hi, does anybody have any suggestions for roadbike rides around Southport, using quiet roads and smooth cycle tracks. Thank you

Hi @Kayjay

I'm not local to there but I've had the chance to ride the back routes between Preston and Southport quite a bit. there are loads of quiet roads and tracks so a decent map should help you out.

what sort of distance are you looking at?

Get the Sustrans map for that area (5.99 from amazon or similar from sustrans themselves) - there are many many miles of back road rides to choose from.
I used it for Blackpool to Southport and back for a 100 mile round trip, though I can't recall if blackpool was actually on that map.

Alan O

Über Member
Hi, does anybody have any suggestions for roadbike rides around Southport, using quiet roads and smooth cycle tracks. Thank you
Let's Ride (at https://www.letsride.co.uk/) has quite a few rides round that area (though only a couple up at the moment, in January), with one of its leaders living in Southport. It's modestly-paced social riding and might not be what you want, but it could give you a few ideas for routes.

Oh, and Sustrans map online at https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map (though routes 62 and 810 are largely off-road and not "smooth". I know people who ride them on road bikes, but they're not ideal).

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you have RWGPS do a search for rides which begin within five miles of Southport - it should come up with a lot. Myself and fellow club members regularly ride to Ainsdale - MeCycle and Bar Mio for coffee - and must have 10-12 different routes to get there.

The area roughly bordered Litherland >Ashton in Makerfield >Leyland >Tarleton - west of M6 - is so packed with lanes it's easy to create 50-70 mile rides. We can make Chorley >Southport >Chorley a 55/60 mile ride and longer.

If you struggle to find any post in here and I'll pop up some links.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Out past Rufford past Mawdesley. Various routes up Parbold Hill and could cross valley up Ashursts Beacon and then work your way back again via Burscough perhaps. Loads of little lanes to use. I grew up Parbold with family in Southport. As suggested, bigger rides could get over to Chorley and Winter Hill.

Top Bottom