Riding on a wheel which is rattling (bearings)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
So, just as I set off for work this morning (very late), I could hear and almost feel the rattle of ball bearings coming from the front wheel hub.

It's very noticeable, and just started when I left the house this morning.

I rode into work OK, with nothing wrong aside from the rattling noise - is there any danger in me riding it home?

Not sure how to go about fixing it, would rather not take it to a bike mechanic but guess I've got no choice.

It's on a Cannondale Quick 4 2013 btw.

gbb

Legendary Member
Rattling is not what I'd expect hub bearings to do...are you sure it's coming from the hub.
Rattling could be a spoke nipple dropped into the rim...quickly check each spoke tension.

Try to move your rim sideways. ..is there any excessive slop relative to the hub, (compare the front to the back wheel if you're not sure how much is ok ) this would indicate a hub overhaul may be needed.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The bearings on my previous rear wheel rattled like hell. I use to pack some grease in there and they would be fine for a 100 more miles.

Trouble is, I left them too long and the bearing races became so pitted that they'd nearly worn through

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is it the bearings? Spin the wheel and feel for any play. You need to remove the bearings from the hub. Here’s a video, you’ll need a few tools if doing it yourself.

View: https://youtu.be/opommURFB4o

Inspect the cups, if they’re worn badly you may need a new hub as spares are often not available.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
From your description it could almost be anything and I wouldn't expect the bearings in a hub to rattle while being ridden. Are you sure it is a rattle and not a grinding or rumbling?
Easiest way to rule in or out the hub as the culprit would be to remove the wheel from the bike and see how the bearings feel when the axle is turned by hand. Rattling off any kind at the front end would instantly make me suspect the headset adjustment.

Does it have those funny low spoke Cannondale Element wheels? I think they are cartridge bearing not cup and cone.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Does it have those funny low spoke Cannondale Element wheels? I think they are cartridge bearing not cup and cone.

Yes!

Top Bottom