Riding on the pavement to avoid lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Then a COCKWOMBLE I must be as I have in the past ( and maybe will in the future) hopped the curb to avoid a set of lights.

Is there a special badge I need to wear?

Nah - different rools for Tek-suns.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just led two other riders across a pedestrian area to cut out a snarled-up junction.

It felt wrong but I should point out that I was leading 2 young (18 and 20) Canadian relatives who have never ridden road bikes before, we'd got turned away from Lewisham Station on the way out, cycled across town to Victoria station only to be barred entry onto the train, and were returning thoroughly defeated when the traffic snarled up. The little detour used to be a road but it was changed not because of cyclists but because of heavy motor traffic. I believe it was safer for them - we were not in a rush - and I don't believe cyclists should ever have to endanger themselves in heavily congested traffic when the alternatives have been removed by officious and totally unnecessary Olympic bans.

Tiberius Baltar

I'm all for people being educated in the error of their ways but I wouldn't make a habit of squirting water at a stranger, it could back fire on you and end up in fisty cuffs. Them scousers can be well 'ard like :boxing:

ha ha ha ha we are though we are well 'ard. Its funny though because in the six years Ive been driving my cab Ive never had any bother and I don't tend to get much hassle in pubs and when I'm on my bike. As a 17 stone Rugby playing scouser though I think people tend to pick an "easier" victim lol. It annoys me though cos Im actually quite a timid fella who wouldn't cause anyone any bother. The squirty bottle just seemed like the thing to do and he realised I was only being friendly and making him try to be a bit more conscious oabout his behaviour.

Calm down calm down eh eh eh ha ha ha

Tiberius Baltar

Was a bloke on here whose location said Liverpool. He got shirty with some driver and punched his car. The driver chased in his car, got out a beat the cr8p out the cyclist.

The cyclist came on here to tell others not do the same.

Well thats the problem we all have unfortunately. I would NEVER advise anyone to confront a stranger and especially if your not prepared to defend yourself as there are some nasty individuals out there!

Dan B

Disengaged member
I often walk on the pavement to avoid lights. Sometimes I skate on the pavement to avoid lights. I tend not to do the same on a bike very much at all, but I haven't seen any good reason why cycling at walking pace is bad but walking while pushing a bike is OK.

Davidc

Guru
Hmm...I do this sometimes.
Mind you, the 'pavement' in question is actually a shared ped/cycle lane. Then I rejoin the road!
Likewise

lordloveaduck

You just get a feeling deep inside.:thumbsup:

Try this.
Setlers_Wind_Eze_Gel_Caps_20x.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't nip onto the pavement to avoid lights, though I have been known to get off my bike at a red light and use the pedestrian green light to get to the other side or when the traffic is solid due to road works. I don't see that many cyclists actually trying to avoid the lights either (they would be more likely to RLJ on the road). Luckily the majority are more law-abiding.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's all fun here, in some neighbourhoods bikes are banned from the pavement, in some banned from the street. In the 10 mile ride to work and if I wanted to stay legal I would have to switch from road riding to pavement riding 4 times.

I have to say, cycling in the USA is "different".
I've only had a weekend of it - and that was in and around Irvine, CA - supposedly one of the most bike friendly cities around, and frankly I didnt enjoy it overmuch even then.
I just led two other riders across a pedestrian area to cut out a snarled-up junction.

It felt wrong but I should point out that I was leading 2 young (18 and 20) Canadian relatives who have never ridden road bikes before, we'd got turned away from Lewisham Station on the way out, cycled across town to Victoria station only to be barred entry onto the train, and were returning thoroughly defeated when the traffic snarled up. The little detour used to be a road but it was changed not because of cyclists but because of heavy motor traffic. I believe it was safer for them - we were not in a rush - and I don't believe cyclists should ever have to endanger themselves in heavily congested traffic when the alternatives have been removed by officious and totally unnecessary Olympic bans.

If you were not in a rush - why break the law ?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have to say, cycling in the USA is "different".
I've only had a weekend of it - and that was in and around Irvine, CA - supposedly one of the most bike friendly cities around, and frankly I didnt enjoy it overmuch even then.

If you were not in a rush - why break the law ?
For the safety of my young companions. It would have been what I'd describe as advanced cycling anyway. The alternative was a pedestrianised road that had only been changed because of heavy traffic. Perfectly safe, and responsible ride leading even though it was illegal. (Though looking at google maps it's only marked as no entry for cars and motorcycles so perhaps it was only a lack of cycle-friendly signing rather than illegal as such.here.)

Top Bottom