Riding on the pavement to avoid lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Francesca

Because ... it's a forum! On the free for all to post interweb! In the free speach for all UK! :thumbsup:
(I'm an "almost always" too, BTW, but I strongly disapprove of myself)
Thankyou Pat - its a shame how some people get so defensive and argumentative...never mind eh:becool:

asterix

Comrade Member
Used to see it a lot of it on particular junctions in York. There did tend to be local reasons why they did it though.

Used to go past the Clifton Green lights out towards Shipton. The road narrows just after the lights and its up hill a bit so cars always get impatient behind cyclists. If I got a red I hopped off the bike and walked quickly across Water Lane to remount the other side and get a good head start up the hill to where the roads widens*. I didn't care about saving time, just didn't like the more stupid drivers trying to squeeze me into the gutter because I held them up for a split nano-second. I don't go that way now, but I believe they have changed the light timings to prevent others using my strategy!

*fortunately Mr Bean never went that way.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thankyou Pat - its a shame how some people get so defensive and argumentative...never mind eh:becool:

Hands up to the argumentative, but it's you that's being defensive. I wasn't questioning anyone's right to post, just wondering aloud why one might join a discussion but not be prepared to discuss anything. You made a very vehement contribution to the thread, with a very rigid interpretation of what people should and shouldn't do, and I merely questioned the assumptions behind it. There's no need to get snippy.

Francesca

Not
Hands up to the argumentative, but it's you that's being defensive. I wasn't questioning anyone's right to post, just wondering aloud why one might join a discussion but not be prepared to discuss anything. You made a very vehement contribution to the thread, with a very rigid interpretation of what people should and shouldn't do, and I merely questioned the assumptions behind it. There's no need to get snippy.
getting snippy at all Claud - merely expressing my opnion which is not a vehement contribution to the thread. Iam not knocking your opinion or views - so please dont knock mine..its a forum, so you need to let others express how they feel about this. I do not tell people what they should and shouldnt do..thats their choice.simple.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'll do it when it suits me...

I share the road & share the pavements,

light's blue touch paper and stands well back.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Not getting snippy at all Claud - merely expressing my opnion which is not a vehement contribution to the thread. Iam not knocking your opinion or views - so please dont knock mine..its a forum, so you need to let others express how they feel about this. I do not tell people what they should and shouldnt do..thats their choice.simple.

Red lights mean STOP ...simple. What makes us different from car drivers using the road?...nothing, so we should adhere to all traffic lights /signs/whatever.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think we should obey the rules. On saying that, I don't always. When I'm on the road at, say, 3am, or 5am, I do skip a few red lights.
Yesterday I was on a double carriageway, one lane coned off for about 100m. because of roadworks.
Thing is, there was no roadworks, they were finished, the workmen just left the cones. I knew all this because it's my regular commute home.
So, rather than slow down the traffic behind me, I took to the coned off lane.

Top Bottom