Riding with a weaker friend.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need a Bicyclebungee: http://www.bicyclebungee.com/

tumblr_lr60ao2k8V1qz7afco1_500.png

Cran, how much real racing are you doing? Also why do you need a year to get ready for a half ironman, I would expect most servicemen should be able to do that without too much training.
I wouldn't necessarily think so. Maybe infantry, marines and paras, but there are a lot desk jobs in the military.

I worked in an office job with the australian army, and they were very sedentary. They got Wednesday afternoons off for sport, so they could stay fit, but the Staff Sergeant I worked with went bowling, and most of the rest of them played golf. Noticeable exception was Wonder W.O. (formerly known as super sergeant), who did 500km+ ultra marathons. They had a fitness test each year, but it wasn't that onerous.

You could ace these tests, and not be nearly ready for a half ironman.

Edited to remove my sexism. Implicit sexism in Ironman left in for clarity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Lol! Love these comments.

Do me a favour, we're fit, but not that bloody fit. I'm sure if I didn't have to work 5 days a week, courses, detachments and have a family life, I'd be able to smash one out in a few months. Maybe if I was in a more time forgiving role then yes.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

I wouldn't necessarily think so. Maybe infantry men, marines and paras, but there are a lot desk jobs in the military.

I worked in an office job with the australian army, and they were very sedentary. They got Wednesday afternoons off for sport, so they could stay fit, but the Staff Sergeant I worked with went bowling, and most of the rest of them played golf. Noticeable exception was Wonder W.O. (formerly known as super sergeant), who did 500km+ ultra marathons.) They had a fitness test each year, but it wasn't that onerous.

You could ace these tests, and not be nearly ready for a half ironman.
To put it in perspective, I'm an aircraft engineer and work 5 days a week with scope for 3 hours of 'intensive exercise' a week. I'm definitely not sedentary and don't do a desk job, but there is quite a bit of time tied up actually doing my job. Infantry, marines, paras, yes. They would have the time and scope to train very quickly and most marines would smash one without training.

Tin Pot

Guru
To put it in perspective, I'm an aircraft engineer and work 5 days a week with scope for 3 hours of 'intensive exercise' a week. I'm definitely not sedentary and don't do a desk job, but there is quite a bit of time tied up actually doing my job. Infantry, marines, paras, yes. They would have the time and scope to train very quickly and most marines would smash one without training.

If you're interested in iron distance, then the vast majority of training needs to be slow - your buddy is helping you out without trying.

screenman

Legendary Member
There is plenty of time, most if the ironman people I know have other commitments, just get on with it.

Getting up an hour earlier each day give you 7 hours a week extra for training.

Top Bottom