Riding without lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No-one's saying the cyclists are right to be without lights. My point, again, is that drivers need to drive according to the highway code guidelines, and then cyclists without lights wouldn't matter because they'd be easily avoidable. Sure, the cyclists need to have lights, but that's not what we're discussing atm.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

BentMikey said:
No-one's saying the cyclists are right to be without lights. My point, again, is that drivers need to drive according to the highway code guidelines,

I'm sure that everyone here agrees with that.

and then cyclists without lights wouldn't matter because they'd be easily avoidable.

And I'm equally sure that not everyone agrees with that!

If a road isn't well lit then lights increase your visibility to pedestrians, motorists and other cyclists. I think that lights matter independently of whether or not motorists are obeying the highway code.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OK, take this scenario: There will always be twunts on bikes without lights, or trees fallen across the road, a bend with a flooded muddy surface, or something else. You're driving along a dark country lane.

Do you a) belt it and rely on reflectors and lights to hope that there's nothing in your way, or do you ;) drive so that you can avoid stuff shown up by your headlights and stop in the distance you can see to be clear?

If ;), then you're driving properly, and you'd easily be able to avoid an unlit muppet.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
But as we berated other forums for how they appeared to an outsider looking in, I can see how this forum could appear to a newby looking in as well.

How many threads descend to the level of blaming drivers for not driving according to the highway code, whilst losing the original point.

Starts to sound almost evangelical at times.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
No person with more than half a brain can argue that cycling without lights is "not a bad thing".

I have a smart 3 l.e.d. headlight and smart 7 l.e.d. rear, it doesn't light the way, I use the street lights to see where I'm going, but cars can see me ( a workmate once said to me they could see me half a mile away )

As far as I'm concerned cycling in the dark in urban or rural locations is a no brainer.

Indeed - lights are required not only through the law, but also through manners.

As far as I am concerned, lighting myself is not only a safety feature and a means of reducing the chances of contributory neglegence in an accident, it is also a matter of courtesy.

I ride politely, and part of that is to let other road users see me easily.

Tetedelacourse

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Indeed - lights are required not only through the law, but also through manners.

As far as I am concerned, lighting myself is not only a safety feature and a means of reducing the chances of contributory neglegence in an accident, it is also a matter of courtesy.

I ride politely, and part of that is to let other road users see me easily.

Is this the same sort of courtesy and politeness that extends to this sort of thing?

"Seriously though, making the drivers cack themselves in a brush with a coach/ artic etc etc like that would do a lot to clamp down on this threatening behaviour."

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Don’t see what’s ‘discourteous’ about that,;)

Tetedelacourse

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
LOL, they've gotta learn somehow ;) If they weren't so obsessed with their own journey and showed consideration to others, they wouldn't find themselves in need of a change of underwear :smile:

:eek:Got you.;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't feel any differently to what you guys have written above. It almost seems that you're deliberately misinterpreting my posts to assume I said riding without lights is fine!

No, I understand what you mean mikey - the onus is on the driver to have enough control of their vehicle to be able to deal with unexpected situations in a timely and safe manner.

I have taken both IAM car and motorbike instruction and that is one of the key points they make - speed is dangerous when it is excessive for the situation. Their point being that although the speed limit may be 60mph on a certain section of road, it doesn't mean that 60mph is safe.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
BentMikey said:
I don't feel any differently to what you guys have written above. It almost seems that you're deliberately misinterpreting my posts to assume I said riding without lights is fine!

Not misinterpreting you at all BM mate, I just think it's plain crazy to cycle in the dark with no lights, I wouldn't be expecting you to do it, being a responsible cyclist.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
This reminds me, I need to buy some batteries for my spare lights. Tried to lend them to another cyclist recently and the front one didn't work, oops.

Top Bottom