Riding your winter hack !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sure we all love hot summer days - when we have a degree a fitness and can ride our best bikes - its cycling at its best.
But for some reason I also get a "kick" of riding my 2nd hand £300 winter bike - on cold damp autumn\winters days - its as though you're doing the work - despite being on a low end heavier bike - it kind of makes me feel a bit hard core !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
2nd hand £300 winter bike - on cold damp autumn\winters days - its as though you're doing the work - despite being on a low end heavier bike - it kind of makes me feel a bit hard core !

That kind of value is my best bike value or my best 2 bikes , but i know what you mean

Last edited:
I often ride my ‘winter hack’ during the summer months as well. It’s cheap, so I don’t care so much if it gets bounced during an ‘unplanned dismount’ caused by being hit by a summer chopper, or gets permaborrowed by some low life scummer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My best summer bike never gets ridden on wet roads and certainly never in the winter as there can be salt even on dry roads. It doesn't matter how carefully you wash it, it will deteriorate.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I have one bike that I ride all year round. I clean it after every ride.

I think the dreadful conditions of the British winter are somewhat over stated. Winter is just like summer but a bit colder. It rains a lot in both. I do have a winter bike. It's kitted out with studded tyres. I almost never ride it.
I'm exactly the same, except that I clean it before every ride.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
only reason I have a winter bike is that after a hip injury I can only get comfy on a leather saddle.
so my winter bike must have mudguards. Its all about opinions ...but I dont over protect my best bike ...Mrs KR would have em on ebay if they sit idle for to long.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My best bike is particularly valuable. It belongs to the philosophy of cycling explained by Matt Seaton in his excellent book The Escape Artist: it's a beautiful bike built from the best components and it rides fantastically, the mechanical extension of looking clean and smart on the bike. I keep it in perfect repair and adjustment and clean it after every ride, if only a wipe over with a damp cloth then a buff with Mr Sheen. It was my 60th birthday present to myself and a significant indicator of how I hope to continue life after retirement.

My regular bike gets ridden all year round, it's in excellent mechanical order but I'm less fussy about cleaning, it gets washed after muddy or salty rides so the finish is gradually deteriorating as surfaces collect microscopic scratches and rust forms in hidden places like brake mount nuts. It doesn't matter how thorough or careful your cleaning, a bike used in winter will slowly deteriorate.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
It’s the salt I don’t like.

If I ride my Winter bike or my Merida I always give them a decent clean if salt has been put down.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
My best bike is particularly valuable. It belongs to the philosophy of cycling explained by Matt Seaton in his excellent book The Escape Artist: it's a beautiful bike built from the best components and it rides fantastically, the mechanical extension of looking clean and smart on the bike. I keep it in perfect repair and adjustment and clean it after every ride, if only a wipe over with a damp cloth then a buff with Mr Sheen. It was my 60th birthday present to myself and a significant indicator of how I hope to continue life after retirement.

My regular bike gets ridden all year round, it's in excellent mechanical order but I'm less fussy about cleaning, it gets washed after muddy or salty rides so the finish is gradually deteriorating as surfaces collect microscopic scratches and rust forms in hidden places like brake mount nuts. It doesn't matter how thorough or careful your cleaning, a bike used in winter will slowly deteriorate.

that is a great book - put it on your xmas list if you haven't read it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ti doesn't corrode and I'm happy to replace components as needed. The fixed one tends to be used more in winter.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's a bike, I'm not precious about it

My best (ie lightest, most expensive) bike I will ride unless there's a v good reason not to like it's in for repair. It gets a decent clean after wet winter rides. I think this business of winter roads wrecking best bikes is a fallacy if you can be bothered to at least clean off the worst of the crap after a ride

Johnno260

Veteran
To a degree yes, but it was an utter pain and I gave up trying to fit mudguards to my Merida, but the bike and myself got totally covered every ride.

Having a bike with full mudguards makes a huge difference, I still clean it after every ride.

Top Bottom