Ridley Triton T frame dimensions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
AlanW said:
Thanks again John for taking the time to take and post the pictures for me.

One things for certain, that headtube is one hell of a length isn't it?

It's certainly long but the close-up exaggerates it a bit - looks more conventional in the side view of the bike.

Just been out on it - very impressive. Rigid but not a harsh ride at all.

John

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Rezillo said:
It's certainly long but the close-up exaggerates it a bit - looks more conventional in the side view of the bike.

Just been out on it - very impressive. Rigid but not a harsh ride at all.

John

Cool, ordered mine this afternoon, in Small. :sad:

Just need to find a nice, trick, carbon seat post as there will be so much sticking out now. :tongue:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Well it arrived this morning, and gosh its a much better looking in the flesh than the pictures show it isn't it?

I've also sorted a nice Ritchey WCS carbon seat post for it. :wacko:

AlanW said:
Well it arrived this morning, and gosh its a much better looking in the flesh than the pictures show it isn't it?

I've also sorted a nice Ritchey WCS carbon seat post for it. :biggrin:

It's a nice surprise when you open the box isn't it! Enjoy.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Finished at last!

dsc04718.jpg

Went out this afternoon for a hour and the ride is pretty amazing, its a lovely frame.

In fact, it has changed my mind about how alloy framed bikes ride. ;) My first Dolan alloy frame was about as dull as dishwater. The Ribble frame was good value for money, but was still not that sharp in terms of transferring the power to the wheel.

Plus the geometery is bang on for me. :biggrin::biggrin:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I was hoping you'd post a pic of the finished article. Looks great!

Looking forward to trying mine on longer day trips with some normal tyres - I'm shy of punctures when night winter riding and use Marathon+s. While it means no tube changing in the cold and dark, miles from anywhere, performance takes quite a hit.

John

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Did another couple of hours this morning. :biggrin:

Wished that had not worked out the total cost though! :biggrin:

Triton T c/w Ridley 4ZA Protector Forks and FSA headset. @ £245.00
Shimano 105 10sp, double Sti levers. @ £144.46
Shimano Ultegra rear double mechs, 10sp. @ £54.78
Shimano Ultegra front double mech, 10sp. @ £22.91
Shimano braze-on adaptor. @ £8.71
Shimano Ultegra brake calipers, 49mm drop. @ £56.06
Swissstop "Flash" brake blocks @ £21.59
Shimano Ultegra 10sp, double chainset, 39/52, 172.5 cranks. @ £93.46
Bottom Bracket – Hope, stainless steel, red. @ £62.96
Chain – Shimano Ultegra 10sp. @ £19.51
KMC Quick Link @ £5.31
Cassette – Shimano Ultegra, 12/23. @ £39.91
Handlebars – Ritchey WCS, 31.8mm, aluminium, 42cm (c to c) @ £58.49
Handlebar stem – Ritchey WCS, aluminium, 11cm. @ £58.49
Deda handlebar tape, red. @ £5.91
Seatpost – Ritchey WCS, carbon, 31.6mm. @ £156.59
Seatpost Clamp – Hope, red. @ £13.21
Saddle – Selle Italia, Flite Genuine Gel, black. @ £74.59
Wheels – Hand built, Shimano Ultegra, 32 spoke hubs, s/s, d/b spokes with red alloy nipples, Mavic Open Pro CD rims. @ £240.00
Innertubes - Continental Race 28, 700 x 18/25C x 2. @ £5.02
Tyres – Continental, 4Seasons tyres, 700c x 23mm x 2. @ £55.68
Velox rim tape x2. @ £2.98
Bottle cages – Elite, custom race, white/black, x 2. @ £16.98
Pedals – Look Keo Sprints, grey. @ £59.98
Computer – Cateye Micro, wireless. @ £31.41
Mudguards – SKS, P35 c/w mudflap, black. @ £17.38
Pump – Blackburn, frame fit. @ £20.36
Dog Fang, 34.9mm @ £5.31
Bike Shield - Frame Protector Set @ £17.99

Grand Total = £1,615.03

I hope that the missus doesn't read this!!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Ouch! For me, frame £245 and everything else came off the older bike. However, some bits were only on the older one for a few weeks at most, so actual immediate cost including these would be:

Ultegra SL front mech £27
Ultegra SL rear mech £45
Ultegra SL triple crank/bb £67 (bargain)
Ultegra SL brakes £60
Sram chain £25
Cables £40

So money spent around £500, but I did have enough bits left over and hanging around already to make a flat bar bike for turbo training/nipping down the shops and only had to buy a cheap seat post for that. Technically, two seat posts, as the first one I bought was 0.2mm too big and went into the seat tube with some effort but would not come out without a lot more effort that wrecked it.

John

BB King

AlanW said:
Does anyone on here own one that can assist before I commit to buying a frame please?

Well, I definitely know that you guys own such a bike, maybe you give me a hand also.

I am currently daily doing road trips and touring on my mountain bike which have semi slick tyres which makes it a bit faster than a mtb, but I want now to get a road bike which I can use also for light touring (only rear panniers). I never had ot ridden a road bike so this is a big problem for me.

I am trying to decide whether to go for the Triton T or for the Crossbow. The last one is a cyclocross frame which has rack+ mudguards mounts, it is a nice frame, but I would prefer a even lighter one (it is 2.3kg including fork).

Triton T

- Do you know the weight of a frame? I want to make a touring bike as light as possible without compromising the quality, also all my touring equipment is ultralight (tent,mat, sleeping bag...).

- You think it would make a reliable tourer i.e. can handle situation where the road would become a bit of "off road", not that I intend to do off road touring, but maybe sometimes this wouldn't be an option.

- Like AlanW, I am also undecided regarding the size, I'm 5ft10", 84 cm inside leg, the recommended size would be M, but the top tube is too long and it won't give a comfortable position I guess, would an S be too small?

Hope you have some suggestion for me. Many thanks.

L.E. Lovely photos by the way, but still it's not like actually seeing one, as you said, photos don't do justice.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I used a M for my 5' 11.5" and that is fine with a 90mm stem. Because this bike is predominantly set up for comfort and longer rides, I've reversed the stem to its high angle.

I've no knowledge of the Crossbow but I would think the Triton would make a ideal light tourer. The ride is very comfortable, even with the Aksiums I've taken off my main bike, and it will take a full rack although I've used a seatpost mount on mine. In terms of some off-road use, it will just take 25mm Marathon plus tyres with mudguards but nothing larger. 25mm Durano plus might be a better bet for stony ground.

The frame looks great and ultegra-sl coloured components really set it off.

John

BB King

Thanks John.
I am thinking to put a Campagnolo line, will probably use the Comp triple groupset and replace the chainset's inner ring which is 30T with a 26T (maybe even smaller) probably, although I'm not sure it will work; I think this will be very useful when going really uphill with the panniers (I've done some great climbing last year in Spain whilst touring with my mountain bike and I didn't need to get off the bike).

I don't think I want to use the mudguards, I mean I never used it until now and never felt the need of it; therefore would the bike take a 35 mm tyre in these conditions? I think a 35mm would be more suitable for touring?!? I repeat, I never rode a road bike, therefore I don't know much about it.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I would think 35mm tyres are a no-no. Widthwise, it looks to be ok but height is another matter. 25mm Marathon plus tyres barely clear the fixing nut on the mudguard mount by the bottom bracket so without the mudguards there's only a few mm to spare tops.

John

BB King

Well, this is indeed a very bad news because I don't think a proper touring can be done with a 25 tyre. Will do a bit of more research and maybe will go for the Crossbow in the end, that's a good frame, I was just hoping to gain some weight using the T.

Top Bottom