Ridley Triton T frame dimensions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
For the life of me I cannot seem to find any details on the net regarding frame dimensions? The Ridley website is second to useless as it only lists small, medium etc etc.

I have spoken to a couple of shops and they say that I need a small size coz they have a long head tube and sit high up. Which is all well and good, but I want to compare it to my other frames, hence I need some proper figures.

Does anyone on here own one that can assist before I commit to buying a frame please?

According to my understanding the Triton S or T bikes **share a similar geometry to Noah,Helium Damocles and Excaliber etc. They seem to have the same measurements according to this page (which doesn't show the Triton).

http://http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BRAND_GEOMETRY&BRAND.ID=454

It would seem that the exceptions are Triton C and Orion which have their own shared geometry and the TT Dean

** See this pagehttp://www.trisports.co.uk/images/Ridley.sizing.guide.pdf

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
accountantpete said:
According to my understanding the Triton S or T bikes **share a similar geometry to Noah,Helium Damocles and Excaliber etc. They seem to have the same measurements according to this page (which doesn't show the Triton).

http://http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BRAND_GEOMETRY&BRAND.ID=454

It would seem that the exceptions are Triton C and Orion which have their own shared geometry and the TT Dean

** See this pagehttp://www.trisports.co.uk/images/Ridley.sizing.guide.pdf

Thanks for the links, but the first one will not load?

I had found the second link, but if I go by the suggested leg lengths, then I really need a one in between small and medium!

twentysix by twentyfive said:
I had similar problem with another frame. So I e-mailed the store and they sent me a table of sizes. So give em an e-mail ;)

Yes, I tried that and they sent me the sizing document that I had found for myself!

I want to find the top tube length, but because it slopes I need the virtual measurement. Plus the headtube length.

Then ideally and the most useful measurement would be, assuming that the bike is assembled, from the ground to the every top of the head tube. At least I can compare that to my Ribble frame which sits to low at the front.

When I bought the Ribble frame I had to go down a couple of frame sizes to my normal frame size in order to get the correct top tube length for me. But like a goon I did not take into account the very small head tube length.

Consequently, I now have 50mm spacers under the stem and a) its still a bit to low. :smile: its looks bloody stupid!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I've just built a bike based on Dooley's reduced price frame. It's a medium as it replaces a cheaper Ridley frame in large and the reach for me with that was a bit too long, needing a very short stem. I'm 5' 11.5" btw.

Here it is, completed yesterday pm:

Triton T

I can do some measurements if you like. I did find the Triton T sizes somewhere and the Medium equated to a 54. This fits me ok with a 90mm stem.

John

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Rezillo said:
I've just built a bike based on Dooley's reduced price frame. It's a medium as it replaces a cheaper Ridley frame in large and the reach for me with that was a bit too long, needing a very short stem. I'm 5' 11.5" btw.

Here it is, completed yesterday pm:

Triton T

I can do some measurements if you like. I did find the Triton T sizes somewhere and the Medium equated to a 54. This fits me ok with a 90mm stem.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the offer to help, could you measure from the floor directly up to the very top of the head tube, excluding any spacers?

If you are 5' 11" and you have a medium then I guess it follows that a small would be around about right, I am 5' 9"

Using the Ridley sizing chart which they base on inside leg length, is no help either. ;)

I am a 33" inside leg, which is the top end of the small frame and at the bottom of the medium sized frame!

Nice looking bike BTW..

Just thought of a couple of other questions:-

1) What size seatpost does it require?

2) Can you fit std drop brake calipers or do you need the longer ones?

oh and another, sorry!

3) The OD of the seat tube, to see if my front mech will fit?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
accountantpete said:
Have fixed the link in the original post - the geometry of the Damocles should be identical to the Triton T.

Thanks Pete, if those dimensions are indeed the same then the small frame has the exact top tube length that I need. :smile:

But call me old fashioned, coz I do so much prefer non sloping top tubes, but that's a bloomin' short seat tube @ 49cm c to c. ;)

AlanW said:
Thanks Pete, if those dimensions are indeed the same then the small frame has the exact top tube length that I need. :smile:

But call me old fashioned, coz I do so much prefer non sloping top tubes, but that's a bloomin' short seat tube @ 49cm c to c. ;)

Should be just right - add on the 4cms approx for the slope and that gives you 53. I have a 56cm (Pegasus horizontal top) and 30" legs set with the seat closer to the top tube than is the norm and that works ok.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
accountantpete said:
Should be just right - add on the 4cms approx for the slope and that gives you 53.

Yes I think your right given the price that Dooleys are selling the frame and forks at, worth while giving it a try. ;)

But it will still be good to get this measurement from John, just so that I can compare it against my own frames in the garage.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
AlanW said:
Hi John,

Thanks for the offer to help, could you measure from the floor directly up to the very top of the head tube, excluding any spacers?

If you are 5' 11" and you have a medium then I guess it follows that a small would be around about right, I am 5' 9"

Using the Ridley sizing chart which they base on inside leg length, is no help either. :tongue:

I am a 33" inside leg, which is the top end of the small frame and at the bottom of the medium sized frame!

Nice looking bike BTW..

Just thought of a couple of other questions:-

1) What size seatpost does it require?

2) Can you fit std drop brake calipers or do you need the longer ones?

oh and another, sorry!

3) The OD of the seat tube, to see if my front mech will fit?

Alan,

Floor to top of headtube (centre) is 85.5cm, but bear in mind this is with 25mm Marathon+ tyres. These tyres just fit with mudguards.

Seatpost diam is 31.7mm

Seat tube diam is 35mm

Standard drop calipers fit ok at max drop.

Other measurements:

Top tube length from centre of seat tube to centre of head tube is 55cm, virtual horizontal length is 56cm.

It's a gorgeous frame - I'll take an outdoor photo later to do it justice. I took the afternoon off work yesterday to finish cannibalising the old bike and fitting out this one. Pedalled it 50 yards up the road and back to check gears and brakes were working ok and then the heavens opened :angry:

I bought some cheap Ultegra SL components recently, thanks to the bargains thread, and they match the frame colour really well.

Re size - bear in mind my back isn't as supple as it was and I like a short reach.

John

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Rezillo said:
Alan,

Floor to top of headtube (centre) is 85.5cm, but bear in mind this is with 25mm Marathon+ tyres. These tyres just fit with mudguards.

Seatpost diam is 31.7mm

Seat tube diam is 35mm

Standard drop calipers fit ok at max drop.

Other measurements:

Top tube length from centre of seat tube to centre of head tube is 55cm, virtual horizontal length is 56cm.

It's a gorgeous frame - I'll take an outdoor photo later to do it justice. I took the afternoon off work yesterday to finish cannibalising the old bike and fitting out this one. Pedalled it 50 yards up the road and back to check gears and brakes were working ok and then the heavens opened :angry:

I bought some cheap Ultegra SL components recently, thanks to the bargains thread, and they match the frame colour really well.

Re size - bear in mind my back isn't as supple as it was and I like a short reach.

John

Brillant, thank you so much for taking time to do that for me.

Compare that to my Ribble 50cm frame which is only 80cm floor to top of head tube.

Using the frame measurements I wonder if I can work out how high that would be with a small frame? Now wheres my calculator!

I will need a new seat post though, but the front mech should fit as the Ribble seat tube is 32mm OD and I think that the clamp will allow for the extra few mm?

Look forward to seeing some more pictures of it in the daylight? :tongue:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Applying some logic here.

If the Medium has a c 2 c seat tube length of 50cm, and the Small is 47cm, that's 3cm difference.

The Medium c 2 t seat tube length is 54cm and the Small is 51cm, so 3cm difference again.

The Medium head tube length is 17.5cm, the Small is 14.5cm, so 3cm difference once again as you would expect.

So......if the height from the floor to the top of the head tube on a Medium is 85.5cm, would it be a safe bet to "assume" that the Small would be 3cm less at 82.5cm?

Is it that easy....surely not?? :angry:

Comparing my two other bikes, my custom made (based on a 54cm) Rourkie bike is 84cm, and my (Medium) Scott CRI Pro is the same measurement, as the Rourkie at 84cm. :angry:

So based on those two figures, Small is the one for me. Just need to add 15mm of spacers to get it to my height.

Unless some bright spark comes along in a minute or two and tells me that I've missed something fundamental..!!!!!:tongue:

Top Bottom