Ridley Triton T frame dimensions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Have you got 35mm tyres on wheels to hand? What's the depth from rim to highest point of tread? What's the max width?

I might be able to check my clearances with the guards off this weekend

John

[edit] The easiest option might be to ask the dealer to stick a 35mm- tyred touring wheel onto a bare frame to see if it fits first, although they might not want to risk scratching the wheel mountings.

BB King

Many thanks for helping.
Sorry John, I don't have 35mm tyres as I only own a mtb at the moment. Any thing related to a road bike is completely new to me, that's why it's such a difficult job now for me to put together such a bike (buy all different components and then assemble it as you guys did).

Anyway, even if it will fit, having such a small clearance doesn't make me happy. It's a pity because I was quite happy with this frame especially the weight, I just received an email from the shop and it weight 2kg frame+fork+headset, this is lovely for a touring bike :sad:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Just catching after having some major surgery done on the laptop and the PC after being attacked by a virus! :laugh:

The Triton T is a great frame, but I would make one observation, it is bloody stiff! Which is good in some respects, but equally so, bad in others.

For transmitting your effort down to the rear wheel, fantastic.

But for long distance riding, not to sure because non of the road vibration is absorbed into the frame. As a result, and this is speaking from my own experience, after just a couple of hours I get terrible back ache?

Now the bike is dimensionally the same as my Reynolds 853 bike, even down the the same bars, same saddle, same length stem, same reach, same length cranks, even the handlebars are the same height, so are the brake hoods.

Same style hand built wheels, with the same ProRace 3 tyres fitted

But I can ride the steel bike for over 6 hours, like I did yesterday in fact and have no real problems?

I can only therefore "assume" it is the frame material that is the problem, if problem is the correct word?

It's the alloy together with the design - with super stiff bottom brackets and head tubes.

Ridley have compromised towards comfort in giving a round seat tube but elsewhere the shaped tubes are firmly geared towards stiffness.

I'd try lowering the pressure in the tyres a tad.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
accountantpete said:
I'd try lowering the pressure in the tyres a tad.

That's was going to be my next step to be honest. I've dropped about 20/25 psi, I just need to find the time to give it a decent try now.

If that fails................keep an eye on the 'For Sale' board. :laugh:

AlanW said:
That's was going to be my next step to be honest. I've dropped about 20/25 psi, I just need to find the time to give it a decent try now.

If that fails................keep an eye on the 'For Sale' board. :laugh:

Personally I have a Pegasus which is even stiffer than the Triton and thought much the same when I first got it but you do get used to it and learn to aim for the sweet spots in the road!

Remember - you are using a lot less energy especially uphill in comparison to the comfy bikes you see on the road.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
AlanW said:
But for long distance riding, not to sure because non of the road vibration is absorbed into the frame. As a result, and this is speaking from my own experience, after just a couple of hours I get terrible back ache?

I'm really surprised at this. I did 75 miles on mine on Saturday and 70 two weeks ago. The ride, on Aksiums/Conti4000s at 120psi was very smooth. This was all on some pretty rough surface dressed roads, not tarmac.

It's certainly smoother than the Onix, although it lacks the sheer oomph factor that riding the Onix brings. I'd ride the Onix in preference - just that on longer trips I can carry more food and water on the Triton with a rack.

John

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Update

Well I have dropped 20psi and its certainly a lot better than it was. Still a very harsh ride though, and despite the back ache I still prefer the ride to that of the Ribble frame that it replaced.

While it has to be said the Ribble frame is good value for money, it is very wooden feeling, especially when you were trying to get a move on.

But I also encountered another "problem". I noticed the other day that I was tending to rid leaning over to one side? Hard to describe, but when I was riding and looking at the front axle, instead of seeing a tyre in the central with uniform amount of spokes visable either side, I noticed that I was looking at more of the right side of the wheel?

Its very hard to describe, but the bottom line was that the bike was NOT at 90 degrees to the road when I was riding??

So armed with a tape and a long spirit level I set about establishing what was causing me to lean over? I dont do it on any of my other bikes, so why this one???

Well after lots of measuring and plenty of head scratching the answer was that the left hand brake lever was 15mm lower then the right hand side. ;)

I can see how it happened, when I fitted them, I measured from the floor to the lowest tip of the levers. But when I placed a spirit level on top of the hoods, they were on the piss. :ohmy:

But you would think that it would cause me to lean the other way would not you? :ohmy:

The good news was that I managed to move it up without to much disturbance to the bar tape. :biggrin:

So I am now back riding at 90 degrees to the horizontal again. :laugh:

Was it like this then?

6558836-lg.jpg

Top Bottom