Right Hook - Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I agree with @Milkfloat , the driver's behaviour is highly suspicious. Did you ask him if he'd reported the collision to the police? I don't expect he did and that should make you wonder why not.

There's going to be something else he's worried about; it might not be his car, he might not have had permission to use it, he might be disqualified or not even have a licence, or has no insurance.

Right now, if you don't already have it, I'd be asking him for his insurance details. If you like, pretend it's just as a fallback in case he doesn't cough but I'd get straight onto them with a claim. With the video you have there will be no contest and you'll have a far better chance of proper recompense. And whether he gives you insurance details or not, get straight on to the police and report the incident.

P.S. I wouldn't have let him know about the video before giving him enough rope to hang himself with either the police, insurance or both but it's done now.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Right now, if you don't already have it, I'd be asking him for his insurance details. If you like, pretend it's just as a fallback in case he doesn't cough but I'd get straight onto them with a claim. ............

I wouldn't give it any pretense. If he doesn't provide it, the Motor Insurers' Bureau will provide it online for £3, then reclaim the cost as part of the claim.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you know if he has any insurance?

If you are not a CUK / BC member your house insurance may cover legal costs.
"Roadside" service available from AskMid. Link in the Accident Advice thread, near the bottom.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
"Roadside" service available from AskMid. Link in the Accident Advice thread, near the bottom.

That free service assumes the involvement of two motor vehicles as it asks for your reg number as well as the other party's. Even if he has a vehicle whose reg number he can use, that will flag on his own insurance as a reportable collision with his vehicle when there wasn't one.

I think I'd stick to the paid service for simplicity.

classic33

Leg End Member
That free service assumes the involvement of two motor vehicles as it asks for your reg number as well as the other party's. Even if he has a vehicle whose reg number he can use, that will flag on his own insurance as a reportable collision with his vehicle when there wasn't one.

I think I'd stick to the paid service for simplicity.
£4.50 for the paid one off enquiry. £2.60 when they started it.
https://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx
asmid.jpg

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have watched and rewatched that video multiple times now and I am sorry to say I am still uncertain on where the blame lies! I think you might have trouble making your claim stick if you go down the insurance claim route, the video 'evidence' does you no favours.

The road/lane you are traveling along is narrow (hence no centre markings) and there is a big SLOW sign painted in the road just before the junction where the collision occured. Despite this, unless it is a trick of the camera, you appear to be travelling at a fair lick and don't seem to slow down at all even when you reach the busy junction. You then proceed to aim for a gap that is much narrower than a car width without considering the vehicles intended actions and without slowing to check if you are actually seen by the driver and it is safe for you to proceed.
The incident is at best 50:50. The driver is in an awkward situation, it is a sharp turn and it is simply not possible to look into the road he is entering (i.e watching where he is going) and simultaneously watch for oncoming traffic approaching at excessive speed. Their driving does not look negligent or hasty. I'm not surprised the driver suggested you approached too fast.

Having said all that, the developments since the collision are making alarm bells ring, so if you intend to pursue your claim I would suggest you do so via the official route because I suspect any attempt to settle privately, off the record, will end in frustration!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Trying to bypass the insurance company rings alarm bells, and makes you ask what else are they hiding. Report to police, doctors, get their insurance details. For instance the insurance may not cover him, and he may be driving around uninsured.

I have watched and rewatched that video multiple times now and I am sorry to say I am still uncertain on where the blame lies! I think you might have trouble making your claim stick if you go down the insurance claim route, the video 'evidence' does you no favours.

The road/lane you are traveling along is narrow (hence no centre markings) and there is a big SLOW sign painted in the road just before the junction where the collision occured. Despite this, unless it is a trick of the camera, you appear to be travelling at a fair lick and don't seem to slow down at all even when you reach the busy junction. You then proceed to aim for a gap that is much narrower than a car width without considering the vehicles intended actions and without slowing to check if you are actually seen by the driver and it is safe for you to proceed.
The incident is at best 50:50. The driver is in an awkward situation, it is a sharp turn and it is simply not possible to look into the road he is entering (i.e watching where he is going) and simultaneously watch for oncoming traffic approaching at excessive speed. Their driving does not look negligent or hasty. I'm not surprised the driver suggested you approached too fast.

Having said all that, the developments since the collision are making alarm bells ring, so if you intend to pursue your claim I would suggest you do so via the official route because I suspect any attempt to settle privately, off the record, will end in frustration!

Apart from your last sentence that is rubbish.

What speed is a "fair lick"? If a car was travelling at that speed would it still be a "fair lick". Afaik "fair lick" is not mentioned in the Highway Code.

The op is in his lane moving forward, the driver has crossed into the wrong lane. If the driver cannot look at oncoming (cycling) traffic as part of his manoeuvre to turn right then he should not turn, or at best stop and turn when he is able to observe oncoming traffic.

I suggest he suffers from the same problem as many other drivers who look through cyclists because they are more concerned at looking for motorised transport.

A similar thing almost happened to me today but the driver noticed me at the last moment and slammed on his brakes when he saw I was coming through.

classic33

Leg End Member
Askmid shows that at least someone has the car insured.
But the DVLA seems to show it as having been sold recently. There's that bit about the VED not passing over with the vehicle.

I'm for going down the insurance route, which may well require dhd.evans to get in touch with the police to get an incident/collision number.

I'd prefer he got himself checked out first. The police will ask him to anyway.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
My opinion would be all about his attitude, we all have the capacity to make mistakes, it could well be he just was looking more to the right where he was going rather than ahead where you came from (not excusing him). But if he does make a genuine apology & offer, seems contrite then I would think I would go ahead without involving insurance, but make him clearly aware that the costs could well be substantial & insurance might be a better route.

Regarding ball the replies I took this approach. Despite being a seasoned misanthrope I have him the benefit of the doubt; it may or may not work out.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
not sure what would happen if he all of a sudden says i am not paying that amount ? if you go down official routes after an argument and it comes out that you met in a pub demanding cash ( that may be how it is described if it doesnt go right ), i don't think it will be in your favour
i was also knocked off bike in very much the same situation and it is a long winded frustrating process going down the legal road , but i wouldn't choose the meet in pub option - why risk it , just do the legal right thing

Top Bottom