Right Hooked today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was knocked off my bike today by someone who turned right as I was overtaking a line of stationary vehicles. My knees are a bit cut and bruised and I have some cuts to my fingers, so hopefully no lasting damage. The handlebars on my bike are bent and the there are few scratches etc. and maybe a buckled wheel. So I think I was very lucky. The car has a big handlebar shaped dent in the driver’s door.

I was about 200-300 metres from a set of temporary lights and the road ahead was clear so I was in the middle of the opposite carriageway as there were no oncoming cars and I was making my way to the front of the queue. As I recall it the driver suddenly put her indicators on and turned right. I am fairly cautious when going past lines of traffic, so wasn't going that fast and I also look out for cars indicating and turning, but I didn't see her until I was right alongside. I turned with her, but my left handlebar hit her driver's door and then I went down onto my right side. We both came to a stop just onto the turning, which probably confirms that I wasn't going that fast.

I am a member of CTC, so will be in touch with their lawyers today.

I have a couple of witnesses and the police and an ambulance were called, so I don't think there will be much dispute over the facts. However, I would be interested to know what people think about this.

I think the driver should have checked their mirror before turning. I also think I was ok to be overtaking, but I would be interested to hear from people what their experience has been if they have had the misfortune to be involved in something similar.

I understand it is the drivers responsibility to ensure it is safe to carry out a maneuver being doing so but there are others here far more expert than me about such things.

400bhp

Guru
Given your lack of serious injuries then it sounds like one of those things. You were being cautious and she should have looked.

Accidents happen. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry to hear that Tim.
Was it the Van Nick?

Hopefully you can get recompense from the driver of the vehicle for the damage done to the bike.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ouch!!!
There is always a risk when filtering (on either side). It's hard to say who they will side with, best of luck.

Tynan

Veteran
so effectively you were overtaking/passing slow moving traffic which is a legal manoeuvre

they were making a manoeuvre with late signal and no mirrors

sounds to me like you're fine on paper esp with the CTC lawyers, but you know what insurance companies are like, they do love a 50:50

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They were broken white lines. This is a streetview link of where this occured:
http://tinyurl.com/3kzkr4t

For veterans of the FNRTTC ride to Whitstable, you will probably recognise this road, it is the turning before/after Bannockburn Road where we normally have a short wait for people to catch up.

That's OK then, you were in no way in the wrong.

Matthames

Über Member
One of the things I am cautious about when filtering a long line of traffic although I have nearly been taken out by a driver deciding they don't want to queue any longer and suddenly decide to take a different route by doing a uie without checking their mirrors to see if it is safe to actually carry out that manoeuvre.

campbellab

Were the white lines solid or broken?

You can cross solid white lines to overtake vehicles travelling < 10mph. Stationary traffic shouldn't be any different. Guess it goes against you in that it indicates its more hazardous with regards to approaching traffic but that shouldn't make any diff to someone turning from stationary...

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You can cross solid white lines to overtake vehicles travelling < 10mph. Stationary traffic shouldn't be any different. Guess it goes against you in that it indicates its more hazardous with regards to approaching traffic but that shouldn't make any diff to someone turning from stationary...

Good point, I hadn't taken the stainary traffic into account.

So even if the lines were solid, you did nothing wrong.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Always tricky. A colleague got taken out recently , overtaking on right of queue, and car turned right. In this case the driver pulled out from a side street. My colleague was on a motorbike and the insurers went 50/50, which is bad as the car driver was at fault

Top Bottom