1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right, what's your middle name?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by SamNichols, 17 Dec 2007.

1. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

I like my middle name, a lot. My middle name is Roy, I was named after the author of this
    book about metallurgy, not the guy that used to play the guitar for Merle Haggard.
    I feel that I shall bully my future children by giving them equally strange middle names - my thinking at the moment is Arthurian legend (Galahad, Lancelot, etc). I am also thinking of calling a child Philoctetes, calling him Phil until his first day at school, and then letting him find out his true name then. I shall then point and laugh at my own son, and say: 'that's how I roll, sonny jim.' It is for reasons like this that I should never have children.
    My older sister has the middle name Angele (needs an accent above the second e). We are a family that enjoys odd middle names (my cousin also has the middle name Roy, another cousin has the middle name Eloise).

What is your middle name, and is it particularly unusual?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Dirk

3. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I haven't got a middle name. I don't think my parents could be arsed to come up with 2 christian names for me, my brother has, but I have none.

If I could have one it would be something grand like Sebastian or maybe Gerald:biggrin:

4. Sarah.
    You'd think that my parents would have come up with something more interesting, but no...

5. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

John, after my dad.
    I've often wondered about giving my kids a middle name like Xavier, just so they can have X as an initial.
    It's probably a good thing I don't have kids...

6. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

Henry no idea where they came up with that idea from. Not really used as I favoured using my confirmation name Andrew as a middle name.

7. My Dad wanted to name me after one of my uncle's 'James', my mother wasn't happy with that so it became my middle name and I got lumbered with one of the 1st names out of the book as a Forename.

8. Pythagoras

9. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

You have a brilliant middle name, but you choose not to use it? i figure that I've been given a weird and wonderful middle name, so I use it everywhere that I possibly can. I recently got a facebook message from an old friend who said: 'I never knew your middle name was Roy!, I could only reply with: 'you can talk, your middle name is Malkin.'. There was some weird pot/kettle scenarios going on there...
    Anyway, I delight in the joy of the absurd middle name.

10. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

Leslie. It took me about 18 years to be confident of spelling it right. It's my father's and his father's middle name (oldest son thing). Even though I hate it (at school, 'you've got a girl's name' stuff) I was really pi**ed off with my younger brother when he used the name for his firstborn without consulting me. Even though we don't (sadly) have kids and I wouldn't have called a son Leslie anyway.

11. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Curran. Got it from my Dad who got it from his Dad who reckoned he was descended from Sarah, daughter of John Philpott Curran the Irish prosecuting lawyer. Supposedly Sarah eloped with Robert Emmet a prominent Fenian who Curran prosecuted.

May be fantasy or may be true, haven't got round to researching it yet.

12. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Yeah right! I bet your Dad was a Rovers fan! :sad:

Mine? Jeffrey! ;)

13. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

Err, no, it's more that I was named after my grandfather than a fictional football player. I am in fact named after both of my grandfathers (Samuel Roy)

14. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

John, as every first born son had that somewhere in their name going back something like 6 or 7 Great Grandads. If you knew my surname all would become clear.

15. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Francis - every man in my Dad's family has been called Frank going back to, well, a very long time ago...