Right, what's your middle name?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

I like my middle name, a lot. My middle name is Roy, I was named after the author of this
book about metallurgy, not the guy that used to play the guitar for Merle Haggard.
I feel that I shall bully my future children by giving them equally strange middle names - my thinking at the moment is Arthurian legend (Galahad, Lancelot, etc). I am also thinking of calling a child Philoctetes, calling him Phil until his first day at school, and then letting him find out his true name then. I shall then point and laugh at my own son, and say: 'that's how I roll, sonny jim.' It is for reasons like this that I should never have children.
My older sister has the middle name Angele (needs an accent above the second e). We are a family that enjoys odd middle names (my cousin also has the middle name Roy, another cousin has the middle name Eloise).

What is your middle name, and is it particularly unusual?

domtyler

Über Member
Dirk

Landslide

Rare Migrant
John, after my dad.
I've often wondered about giving my kids a middle name like Xavier, just so they can have X as an initial.
It's probably a good thing I don't have kids...

mondobongo

Über Member
Henry no idea where they came up with that idea from. Not really used as I favoured using my confirmation name Andrew as a middle name.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

mondobongo said:
Henry no idea where they came up with that idea from. Not really used as I favoured using my confirmation name Andrew as a middle name.

You have a brilliant middle name, but you choose not to use it? i figure that I've been given a weird and wonderful middle name, so I use it everywhere that I possibly can. I recently got a facebook message from an old friend who said: 'I never knew your middle name was Roy!, I could only reply with: 'you can talk, your middle name is Malkin.'. There was some weird pot/kettle scenarios going on there...
Anyway, I delight in the joy of the absurd middle name.

Leslie. It took me about 18 years to be confident of spelling it right. It's my father's and his father's middle name (oldest son thing). Even though I hate it (at school, 'you've got a girl's name' stuff) I was really pi**ed off with my younger brother when he used the name for his firstborn without consulting me. Even though we don't (sadly) have kids and I wouldn't have called a son Leslie anyway.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Curran. Got it from my Dad who got it from his Dad who reckoned he was descended from Sarah, daughter of John Philpott Curran the Irish prosecuting lawyer. Supposedly Sarah eloped with Robert Emmet a prominent Fenian who Curran prosecuted.

May be fantasy or may be true, haven't got round to researching it yet.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Dayvo said:
Yeah right! I bet your Dad was a Rovers fan! :sad:

Mine? Jeffrey! ;)

Err, no, it's more that I was named after my grandfather than a fictional football player. I am in fact named after both of my grandfathers (Samuel Roy)

Mine's Alan but no idea where it came from

There has been a Thomas and a William, and sometimes both, in very generation back to 1754 but I was the first Alan.

Top Bottom