rim beads worn through after 2 rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriss2.0

HI! my name is christian:thumbsup: , iv been looking all over for an answer to a most perplexing problem.

i have just bought a new bike (sirocco 2) and i have all terrain tires. i have ridden a total of about 200miles:bicycle: ,
on one ride about 20 miles from home i got a bulge, so i rode back to fix it, and when i deflated it, i could see the bare threads of the beading.:eek: (the manufacturer is sending new one

so i fixed the tire and decided to use it for light use. but shortly after, BANG! it had worn completely thru.:angry:

on closer inspection there are signs of the same wear all around the tire, and the inside of the rim had become rough. so to be safe i checked the front too. same thing!

so my question is, what could be causing this?:sad:

i dont want to put new tires on, only to replace them later

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You've not got your brakes rubbing the tyres rather than the rims have you ?
Or tyres rubbing the bike frame or mudgurds?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your tyre pressures are too low and the tyres are squashing down and fretting against the rims. What size are the tyres and at what pressure are you running them?

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

they are large all terrain tires, i had them at about 55-60psi, tyres max is 65, however the bike manual iv recently discovered said that 50psi is the highest recommended.

it may be useful to note that the wear is just above the wire at the very bottom

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
they are large all terrain tires, i had them at about 55-60psi, tyres max is 65, however the bike manual iv recently discovered said that 50psi is the highest recommended.

it may be useful to note that the wear is just above the wire at the very bottom

The recommended min/max PSI will be shown on the tyre wall.

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

thank you, i do know that:smile: , and i told the manufacturer that also, but they said not to go over 50 donno why:wacko: , they did supply the tyres with the bike.
any how any one got any ideas of what could be causing this please so i can find a solution:cry:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
thank you, i do know that:smile: , and i told the manufacturer that also, but they said not to go over 50 donno why:wacko: , they did supply the tyres with the bike.
any how any one got any ideas of what could be causing this please so i can find a solution:cry:

There is no solution. You need new tyres.
Sounds like the supplied ones were either second hand or faulty.

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

i stick to cycle paths and road with some mild off roading (forist paths mainly flat),
i don't do stunts jumps, or anything stupid

the wear is in the beading of the tire and the rim of the wheel i think has gotten rough as a result of the wear because they are re-enforced tiers. will send pics

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

bike.jpg
bike.jpg
bike 2.jpg

Top Bottom