rim cleaning tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

Degreased chain etc. last night. When I went out had seriously lost braking power at the back. Any tips, apart from the obvious, for cleaning rims/ blocks?

mr Mag00

rising member
you may have got cleaning agent on the rims. i have heard of a substance that rubs on the rims and makes them kinda tacky, im sure somebody will link to it here, but i have also heard ppl using an ordinary stationary cupboard rubber works wonders

My LBS recommended using a thinner like white spirit to clean the rims... been using it ever since without any problems.

Chris James

Über Member
Baby wipes aren't really man enough for the job IMO.

I have used white spirit in the past although I worry about whether it will affect the tyres. Meths is pretty much ideal if you have any.

k-dog

Baby wipes aren't really man enough for the job IMO.

You're right.

I was in Makro recently though and they had big industrial wipes in a plastic container that might be good.

I tend to just use a rag on my finger and some white spirit though - does the job.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I use some washing up liquid and hot water. I've got a scrubbing brush and i just scrubs the dirt off.
I used to attach a bit of towel to the spokes that went over the rim so i didnt get any oil or other crud on when i was clening/oiling the chain. Dont bother now though.

monnet

Guru
I use eco-tech degreaser every now and then and most of the time just wipe the rims down carefully with a bit of unoily rag. You can also get rim brushes, like a pummice stone for rims which are pretty good, if a little expensive.

Joe, don't use washing up liquid on your bike - it's full of nasty corrosive salt, just like the stuff you spend hours cleaning off your bike after winter rides when the gritters have been out.

Top Bottom