Rim damage, time for the bin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know I mentioned the use of mole grips, but unfortunately I forgot to mention that I use nylon packing spacers not directly using the metal jaws, I've used this method quite a few times and found it quick and effective with very little dressing up afterwards ( sorry about that as you'll see the time I posted that I was a little inebriate due to sampling a generous amount of my mates Malt collection, only just looked back on that post.....:shy:..)
Well then, mind your Ps and Qs and either pack up the malt collection sampling or allow me to come and help you with that onerous task.

OP
OP
Broadside

Broadside

Guru
That is perfectly repairable but not with a mole grip, spanner or pliers. The reason I say that is because all these tools introduce a secondary dent where the pushing jaw fulcrums on the rim. It leaves a mark that causes pulsating brakes.

You need to bang out the dent from the inside. You need an anvil of sorts with a sharp, not rounded edge - 90 degrees. Have a helper hold the rim edge flat on the anvil so that the edge of the rim lines up with the edge of the anvil. Now hammer it with single, sharp blows so that the dent is flattened against the anvil. You can use a broomstick but it will break quickly and you may have to saw it off and bang again. The best tool is a 20m nylon rod about 200mm long and flat at the end. These rods can be purchased from engineering plastic suppliers. For the DIYer, a piece of broomstick will do.

Never use wood as an anvil. This will allow the rim to bend outwards i.e. too far.

I put the rim in a small vice to flatten it out, one jaw in between the rims and the other on the outside, it went back nice and flat very easily. Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom