Rim or disk brakes on same bike, why the extra price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think I'm going to get myself a carbon bike with tubeless tyres, disc brakes, daytime running lights, tyres with "grippy tread", DI2 ... and a Wahoo. Just to see how many arguments I can get into.

Edit. Make that a carbon gravel bike.

A fool and their money are easily parted. Disc brakes on road bikes are about as sensible an idea as trying to baptise a cat. Clubbies, chodies and bike tarts love them, manufacturers know it, kerrrrrching.

I’m sorry but I don’t believe I am looking to get ‘’off the hook’’, I am merely giving my opinion, which if I am not mistaken that is what a forum is for? If that’s not the case then I sincerely apologise!
I’m very sorry do disagree again I absolutely do understand the subject but as you don’t like people having a different opinion to yours I shall offer no further views or input to the post and bow to your obviously superior knowledge.
I shall however continue to prefer rims brakes😉

A technical explanation isn't about opinion, it is about facts, and in this case, physics. There's no room for opinion there but plenty on the political forum though.

Sarcasm and self-flagellation will do you no good either. By all means, please contribute but don't feel miffed if science trumps opinion.

screenman

Legendary Member
A fool and their money are easily parted. Disc brakes on road bikes are about as sensible an idea as trying to baptise a cat. Clubbies, chodies and bike tarts love them, manufacturers know it, kerrrrrching.

What is money for if not for spending, people spending creates jobs another very plus point.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Disc brakes are superior... Nobody on the planet has argued for vehicles to return to drum brakes, ever....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The thing about rim brakes that I also hate is the black paste they coat the rims with. My neice got a puncture when I took her on her first 200km Audax. I sorted it for her, but my face was black as anything, afterwards, and it wasn't from oil.

You also get uneven rim and brake block wear, and once that happens rim braking is never as smooth or controlled as when the rim and blocks are new.

si_c

Guru
The thing about rim brakes that I also hate is the black paste they coat the rims with. My neice got a puncture when I took her on her first 200km Audax. I sorted it for her, but my face was black as anything, afterwards, and it wasn't from oil.

You also get uneven rim and brake block wear, and once that happens rim braking is never as smooth or controlled as when the rim and blocks are new.
Basically in anything but a dry, sunny summer's day they're fscking awful :evil: :becool::laugh:

Pehaps not using your teeth would help?

YellowV2

Veteran
A technical explanation isn't about opinion, it is about facts, and in this case, physics. There's no room for opinion there but plenty on the political forum though.

Sarcasm and self-flagellation will do you no good either. By all means, please contribute but don't feel miffed if science trumps opinion.

Top Bottom