Rim or disk brakes on same bike, why the extra price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Eh, that's your argument against disk brakes? How odd.
The brakes aren’t the issue.

Has anyone mentioned that excessive use of rim brakes on long descents may cause tyres to explode whereas excessive disc braking under the same circumstances causes the brake fluid to boil resulting in a lack of braking but at least your tyres remain in place!

screenman

Legendary Member
Has anyone mentioned that excessive use of rim brakes on long descents may cause tyres to explode whereas excessive disc braking under the same circumstances causes the brake fluid to boil resulting in a lack of braking but at least your tyres remain in place!

Is that why every long hill in the world has a pile of vehicles smashed up at the bottom of it.

Randombiker9

Probably because disc brakes are better and more expensive
Pa sorry rim brake users. I’ve alwyws had disc brakes on my bike. Lol

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
DOT 5.1 has a dry boiling point of 270deg and a wet boiling point(3.7% of its volume being water) of 190deg.

As above we're not seeing cars and motorbikes piled up everywhere, road legal or race - due to boiling fluids

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Rather than coasting at your manageable speed with the brakes on all the time, I scrub off just a bit more speed than I would normally descend; release; build up speed; scrub; release; repeat.

I am led to believe this will stop the rotors overheating. How scientific this is I can’t verify, but it is a technique that is safe and works for me. On the various group rides I do, I tend to descend quicker than most. Whether that’s a hangover from my MTB riding or because I’m irresponsible, I haven’t decided.

There are some alarming videos on YouTube of overheated rotors.

Top Bottom