Rim tape help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
i have just taken delivery of some cheapish wheels using Exal DC19 rims as below:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s116p1568/EXAL-DC19

I thought I’d need 19mm rim tape, but reading on some sites that I need 22mm.

Anyone able to educate me?

Thanks!
Why not just call Spa and ask :okay:

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

I could, but I didn’t buy them there so a bit cheeky! Just wanted to show the little diagram of the rim.

Going to ask in Evans later on, but there may be better opinions here.

vickster

Legendary Member
I could, but I didn’t buy them there so a bit cheeky! Just wanted to show the little diagram of the rim.

Going to ask in Evans later on, but there may be better opinions here.
Ah assumed you'd got them there. I'd call Spa and buy the tape from them

gbb

Legendary Member
If you look at the profile picture in the wheel specs, it's not a smooth line, theres a raised section each eide, the rim tape needs (probably) to follow that contour...hence a wider tape.

silva

Über Member
Yes, my new bikes wheels had a tape according to the rim width, which was wrong, it didn't cover the contour, instead of 22, 25 mm was needed to buffer the inner tire from the metal it touched.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Yes, they recommended 22mm. Ordered now and I look forward to getting it finished. Thanks for the help.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I do the same as Red17. Used insulating tape for years. The only rim tape I had on my Brompton as new was badly fitted with the inevitable result. Replaced by the roadside and still there years later.

si_c

Guru
Velox 19mm tape would cover that fine, 22mm should be ok, but might be a bit close to the bead. Non-cloth tape in 22mm should also be fine as it is usually thin enough to avoid problems. Velox is still better though as @MichaelW2 said.

Top Bottom