Rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I just find that tearing duct tape (normally 50mm wide) to 18mm (say) for 2.2m is just a pain.
But I too am surprised that 20m rolls of rimtape are not easily available to the consumer (as opposed to bike shops).
This, maybe:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GAXA2W2

@Blue Hills

The process;
Have grandson hold wheel at both ends of the axle between his arms.
Pull off a 330mm length of tape.
Attach to rim well.
Rotate rim positioning tape.
Repeat.
Apply 2 layers of tape to well.
Cut tape.

Warning / Caution.
Use of Sharps.

Using Stanly Knife blade puncture valve hole tape and rotate to clear hole.

Fit tyre and tube.

Landsurfer

Veteran
i can see that being fine on single wall rims but modern 'box section' double wall rims with the nipples down a big hole not so much.
The tape on these rims is to prevent the tube going down the holes on inflation.

I just find that tearing duct tape (normally 50mm wide) to 18mm (say) for 2.2m is just a pain.
But I too am surprised that 20m rolls of rimtape are not easily available to the consumer (as opposed to bike shops).
This, maybe:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GAXA2W2

@Blue Hills

ta for that - may well try on my several 19mm wheels.
re bike shop rolls, you can get blue Schwalbe stuff in big rolls online.
Who knows - your stuff could be little different.
Have you used it?

Why not ???
Sorts one problem, may cause others, so more complication.
I may be a cheapskate but I value simplicity.

Antonio

Just came on this thread by chance whilst idling a few minutes. Brilliant suggestion of duct tape . I am doing up an old Carlton bike at the moment. About to true the rear wheel tomorrow and said to my wife at dinner that I ought to get some new rim tape as the old one I removed is pretty well shot. Never gave any alternatives a thought.
Great and thanks.

We have really interesting subjects to discuss over dinner!

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm about to take on my first wheel-lacing project and had thought about rim tape. I have a load of Gorilla tape from setting up tubeless MTB wheels so was planning to use that. I thought about insulating tape but it does stretch so wondered if, over time, it might depress into the spoke holes. Seems not (or if it does it has no negative effect).

Have the idea that gorilla tape would be fine and dandy apart from the fact i don't think i could cut it to the narrower width without totally screwing it up. Am not aware of narrower widths.

Top Bottom