Rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to get creative and save a few Bob use a length of old inner tube and cut it to shape :smile:.

Rim tape often strikes me as vastly overpriced. As a meanie I continue my search for some wonder bulk supply of suitable material.
Most of my many wheels are similarly sized so a big roll would be handy.
(I have bulk supplies of many basics - gear cables, brake cables, V brake pads - form a queue for the boxes I will doubtless die with)
By the by, is there a simple rule of how the required rim tape width relates to the wheels internal width?
I quite often have problems with rim tape I have called into service interfering with the seating of the tyre.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How do you get 2.13m consistently the right width (= or - 1mm)?
If by 'gaffer tape' he means Duct tape then it's construction means it's easy to tear along it's length to about 1mm increments.

I use gaffer tape, 2 layers ..... available in silver or black ...
Used it since 1978 on all my bicycle and motorbike wheels wheels without a single issue .......
never had issues seating the tyres if you are using two layers?
must admit to being intrigued by cheapo solutions.
Way back when a hybrid of mine had rim tape that appeared to be that tough stuff used for strapping up boxes. it seemed to work just fine.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The tape is torn off the roll at about 10 mm width ... for bicycles, it covers the nipple tops and moves up the sides of the rim well as the first tyre is inflated .... ... Like i've said, I've been doing it this way for well over 40 years and never had a spoke nipple / inner tube puncture on any of my bikes ..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The tape is torn off the roll at about 10 mm width ... for bicycles, it covers the nipple tops and moves up the sides of the rim well as the first tyre is inflated .... ... Like i've said, I've been doing it this way for well over 40 years and never had a spoke nipple / inner tube puncture on any of my bikes ..
i can see that being fine on single wall rims but modern 'box section' double wall rims with the nipples down a big hole not so much.

Top Bottom