Ringing bell on footpaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Horses are a different matter though - I don't ring the bell if approaching them, just say a clear "hello" (or whatever) and wait for the rider to wave me through and then thank them as I pass.
And, in my experience ... wait for the rider to glare at you and tut.

Not all the time mind, I had a nice conversation with a guy on a horse near Groombridge once.

Venod

Eh up
Groombridge once

Great name for a village.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you want to make good progress you need to ride on the road. If using shared paths accept that you'll need to slow to walking pace or even stop if necessary. Many are not paying attention, maybe deaf, or not realise how close behind you are. Extended dog leads are the devils work.

Smudge

Veteran
I have ping bells on all my bikes. I consider ping bells a completely non aggressive sound and never had anyone get stroppy about me sounding the bell when coming up behind them.
Of course you have to make allowances for hard of hearing people and shout out at phone zombies with headphones.

People will always react or jump no matter what you do. Some will be happy, some will not. The only ones who piss me off as a ped are the ones who ghost past at speed with no warning of their approach whatsoever, I nearly always swear under my breath at them.
I'd swear out loud at them. Probably the sort of jerk cyclist (fair few in london) who silently shaves past me when i'm on a bike. And who would never use let alone carry a ping bell. All of my bikes have bells, some 2, and i use them respectfully at a distance with peds and also when overtaking cyclists.
In answer to op, yes some peds will object to bells, but i reckon a fair percentage of those will tell you to get a bell if you don't use one. Some folk are just professionally offended.
If someone walks out in front of me i yell at them. No time to reach for a bell and the sound would be too weak.

Smudge

Veteran
It seems that very few cyclists in my town use a bell, or even have one at all, when using shared paths.
Have bells on bicycles become somehow uncool these days ?

Smudge

Veteran
Very definitely.
In london for sure.
Marginal gains and all.
Cav doesn't use a bell.

I dont get it at all.... why would any cyclist not use something that goes someway to avoid conflict with pedestrians.
When i'm on foot on a shared path or a park, usually with my dog, i rarely know a cyclist is behind me until they are only a few feet behind me. Not even giving me a chance make sure my dog isn't in their way.

D

Deleted member 26715

It seems that very few cyclists in my town use a bell, or even have one at all, when using shared paths
I hate bells, to me they give off the feeling of entitlement, "Oi you I'm ringing my bell get out of my way" I slow then ask, but then people still jump when I ask as they have no idea I'm behind them.

presta

Guru
When I hear a bell it usually startles me, and when I turn my head suddenly I lose my balance and stagger sideways, possibly into the path of the bike. That's one reason why I tend to only ride on cycle paths as a last resort.
I hate bells, to me they give off the feeling of entitlement, "Oi you I'm ringing my bell get out of my way" I slow then ask, but then people still jump when I ask as they have no idea I'm behind them.
This. I don't have a bell, I usually find that letting my brake levers click is a more subtle option, and then "excuse me" if that doesn't work.
Extended dog leads are the devils work.
On a quiet country lane, I came round a blind bend to see a pedestrian walking toward me on my side of the road. He looked alarmed, and then jumped headlong out into the road across in front of me. When I looked behind, there was a dog on the far side of the road, with an extending dog lead stretched across from one side of the road to the other.

Jody

Stubborn git
I dont see bells in that way at all. I see them as a non threatening sound that just alerts pedestrians of your presence.

To us maybe but it does seem to happen quite a bit round here. The vast majority of people are civil but a bell can easily rub some people up the wrong way.

My new approach is just freewheel from a distance as Hope hubs are incredibly loud.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Doesn't everyone have one of these attached to their bike?

bell-1453151_1920.jpg

Top Bottom