Ringing bell on footpaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E
When I hear a bell it usually startles me, and when I turn my head suddenly I lose my balance and stagger sideways, possibly into the path of the bike. That's one reason why I tend to only ride on cycle paths as a last resort.

This. I don't have a bell, I usually find that letting my brake levers click is a more subtle option, and then "excuse me" if that doesn't work.

On a quiet country lane, I came round a blind bend to see a pedestrian walking toward me on my side of the road. He looked alarmed, and then jumped headlong out into the road across in front of me. When I looked behind, there was a dog on the far side of the road, with an extending dog lead stretched across from one side of the road to the other.
Oh - OK - well that sounds perfectly safe

no wonder he looked alarmed - he was doing something dumb and you suddenly cascaded the probabilities from 'possible problem' to 'immediate problems I have caused including possible injury to me or the dog"

toffee

Guru
At the weekend we were riding down a towpath towards a couple of pedestrians when as we got near to them one said, where's your bell? They had watched us ride up to them for a couple of hundred yards :blush::blush::blush:

OP
OP
E
At the weekend we were riding down a towpath towards a couple of pedestrians when as we got near to them one said, where's your bell? They had watched us ride up to them for a couple of hundred yards :blush::blush::blush:
Some people just have to complain

on my wife's bike she has a bell but the handlebars are so narrow (folder) that you couldn't spot it due to the gear changers, brakes lights, reflectors etc

so they wouldn't have known if it is there or not - and if they could see that you had seen them why would you ring a bell??

really - and they say cyclists should have a license!!!

[end rant]

If I may intrude as a foreigner.....

I've racked up a few miles touring in Europe and live in NL. Both my bike have bells and they get used frequently.
One thing I did notice last year on a tour through the UK was the shocked reaction quite a few people had to me ringing my bell. I mean there was jumping involved! I usually stopped for a chat and there was no ill-will, but just about everyone had a horror story of a bike that went too close. It was also pretty clear that a lot of bikers were averse to using their bell, if they had one.

I'm reminded of my first time in Italy on the bike, there was a lot of riding on the road. The first day was hell - loads of bloody cars beeping at me! It was not pleasant.
The second day started off just as bad, but then I noticed a pattern to the beeping. The were beeping from well behind me, not when they were close. What was actually happening is that they were letting me know they were coming and that they had seen me. None of them passed too close.
My preconceived notion was that the horn was aggressive - it wasn't.

I'm very lucky that I live in a country where biking is integrated into everyday life with nothing like the aggro and stress that I can read about on these forums, probably because there are very, very few people who have forgotten what it's like to ride a bike.

I can't help but think that an active campaign to make bell ringing standard and acceptable, informing cyclists and pedestrians that it's helpful, considerate and respectful would be of real benefit.

Jimidh

Veteran
I don’t own a bell.

I find a friendly excuse me works perfectly well whilst slowing down and wee thanks as you pass keeps everyone friendly.

The only ones that this doesn’t apply to are joggers with headphones on so loud that no matter how loud you shout or ring a bell they won’t be hearing you.

I was out last night on a 50k ride which had about 20k on cycle paths. The main issue were walkers out on a gorgeous night walking along totally engrossed in their phones with no awareness that there were other path users . Aargh!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Two blokes jumped out of their skin last night. Must have been half deaf or in their own world. On a wide section of canal path/access track. Road blocked by car and a ped chatting. Dog also loose. Two guys pass car, I follow slowly, say excuse me, and they jumped. Bit further on, came round a corner, apply brakes, guy panics, can't decide weather to stay where he is or move, and holds his hands in the air. Takes a genius to work out where someone doing a jig is going to go.

Might get one of the cow bells at some point. The expensive ones can be switched on and off.

DRHysted

Guru
Ashamed to say I caused an old lady to fall over a couple of months back. I was jogging home from work and as the tide was out I took a narrow woodland track that brings me out on the waterfront near home. There was an old couple walking in front (the bloke about 10foot in front of the woman). From quite a distance back I called out a cheery “good evening”, no response. About 40 foot away I call out again “good evening, excuse me please”, still no response. So I slowed to a walk (still quicker than their pace) and call out again (now about 6 to 7 feet away) “good evening”, the woman spins around, sees me takes a step backwards (off the path) and dies one of those graceful slow falls. The bloke looks at me and says “she’s deaf, you frightened her by shouting”.
Now I helped her back up, got her back on the path and made sure she was alright before I carried on, with the bloke saying to me “get on with your run” to which I ignored until I was happy the woman was OK.

The moral here (if you’ve lasted this long) is you cannot get it right, handle it in a polite manner and ignore the idiots, because you’ve done your best.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I used to do what the OP does, with the same mixed bag responses and reactions. These days, I tend to pass slowly on their right, with my left arm outstretched, and slap 'em on the back of the head as I pass, then speed up, laughing into the distance... their reactions are much more consistent :okay:

I hope you don't ride the same paths too often, you may get recognised...

gaijintendo

Veteran
I just remembered, in December, I put some jingle bells on my bars.

Also, I have a highly clicky hub, so I passively alert people to my annoying presence.

OP
OP
E
Since I posted this I have been experimenting

I have found a way of making my bell sound a bit more friendly - I only press the lever for about 1/4 of its travel and do that twice
I also don't use it with old ladies.

I am finding that this works better if I do it after slowing down and about 10 yards away - sometimes a bit further - I think that doing it while slowing shows a willingness to stop if necessary and gets around people that might think I am one of those cyclits that will carry on at full chat and expect people to comply

This seems to work fine - especially with dog walkers

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's how I do it.
I have one of those dingaling bells and only ring it gently as I'm slowing down and from quite a distance. Some idiots wait till they're right behind the ped and then ring their bell for all its worth and wonder why people jump. I did that only once when I first started using a bell. Scared the hell out of an old dear and learned my lesson.

OP
OP
E
I think that is the problem - people get used to cyclists coming up from behind at speed and then ringing like mad

hence - when they hear a bell they assume that someone is coming up and is close behind - then are surprised (and sometimes confused) when it is a reasonable person who has slowed down and "says excuse me please" - and all that

Top Bottom