RIP Amy Winehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like no one saw that was going to happen.

Very sad.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If that was a footballer who died because of drink and drug abuse there'd be scores of people posting about overpaid chavs setting a bad example to the youth who regard them as role models.

Not knocking the girl who obviously had personal demons to deal with, but there is a lot of hypocrisy abroad in attitudes to the famous depending on where their talents lie.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If that was a footballer who died because of drink and drug abuse there'd be scores of people posting about overpaid chavs setting a bad example to the youth who regard them as role models.

Not knocking the girl who obviously had personal demons to deal with, but there is a lot of hypocrisy abroad in attitudes to the famous depending on where their talents lie.

Depends what you want from your role models, doesn't it?

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkA6zugNMQ[/media]

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

I actually think the response would be much like this.

TVC

Every year 3000 drug addicts and 8000 alcoholics die (ONS figures). We just happen to know the name of this one.

Every one is a loss just as important, or unimportant as her.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I haven't got any kids, but if I had I sure as hell wouldn't want them to have Amy Winehouse as a role model.

Would you?

Like I said, it rather depends on what you mean by role-model. I wouldn't reduce the meaning of her life to a tabloid fixation with her self-destructive habits. She was talented, original and successful, and a refreshing antidote to the blandness of so much of the music industry. I think she has been something of an inspiration, especially to young female musicians and would-be musicians.

postman

Legendary Member
I was born in 1950.And when the sixties took off,well we were spoiled great music.But this girl what a voice and what a talent.Even i liked her and i can be a right grump sometimes.R.I.P. lass.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Like I said, it rather depends on what you mean by role-model. I wouldn't reduce the meaning of her life to a tabloid fixation with her self-destructive habits. She was talented, original and successful, and a refreshing antidote to the blandness of so much of the music industry. I think she has been something of an inspiration, especially to young female musicians and would-be musicians.

Well said.

If say jimi hendrix is a role model, would he not inspire more people to buy an electric guitar than buy drugs and die too young?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom