RIP Ian St. John

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Very innovative in television terms.

He - and Greavsie - were the first to do on screen footballers' dressing room banter which is now a staple on Sky and 5Live.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My only knowledge of him was presenting with Jimmy Greaves. To my knowledge they were the first major cross over broadcasters who brought a less serious tone to football punditry.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Really quite upset me to read about that.
I (like paulB) loved watching him at anfield in the 70s (did I see him in the 60s??).
So many wonderful players of that generation passing away.
Edit
It was mainly the 60s.......I stated going to Anfield 1963ish.

Last edited:
RIP

As a young kid sitting in the stand at blackburn for a cup tie (only once, usually froze on the terraces) with my dad, him and roger hunt were sitting behind us. Someone somewhere has the blackburn rovers programme with their autographs on. Think i gave it to a friend.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As a Tottenham fan I will have seen Saint play in our then usual thrashings at Anfield, or at our place come to that.

However, as with most players who are better than our lot, I block them out of my memory.

At one time we hadn't got a result at Anfield for more than 70 years, although I think they were in the second division for some of that time.

We were one nil up with about 20 minutes to go one occasion, until 'King Kenny' came off the bench, scored one, made another, and that was that.

Very innovative in television terms.

He - and Greavsie - were the first to do on screen footballers' dressing room banter which is now a staple on Sky and 5Live.
hmmm ... The problems at Sky are when *actual* dressing room banter is presented on screen!

(Saint and Greavsie produced a humorous but family-friendly flavour of that banter. I don't remember watching them very much, but they were pleasant company. Gawd bless 'em both! )

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The problems at Sky are when *actual* dressing room banter is presented on screen!

Given the amount of output they've had very few serious problems.

I can only think of a couple.

Rodney Marsh was sacked for saying David Beckham probably thinks the tsunami are a group of Newcastle fans, and Ron Atkinson went the journey for an 'open mic' remark about a black player.

Andy Gray and Richard Keys got into proper bother, but that was over their off air attitude to female staff rather than anything they said on air.

Sky, despite being what we might call tabloid in style, set very high standards for their staff, as a couple of news hacks recently found out.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Sad to read that. I don't follow football much but he seemed a lovely man and their style made football punditry a bit more fun and accessible.

D

Deleted member 26715

What's this football that of which you speak?

Top Bottom