RIP Kalkhoff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Yes the end of a beautiful friendship, my main bike, a Kalkhoff hybrid has bought it. A crack in the frame (in the down tube, next to the head tube) has appeared and its curtains. Sob.

So after 11 years, 40,486 miles, 4 countries and one or two unplanned dismounts, its goodbye.

In happier times.

My LBS discovered the crack- I can't believe I missed it as I check regularly. Could have been v nasty indeed.

Not sure what to replace it with. I've always liked Dawes bikes and also have my eye on a nice Cube (though I don't like the yellow bits). This Genesis Tour de Fer ticks all the right boxes too and would be just the job for future tours, though at the v. top end of my price range. Anyway, I'm in no rush as have a spare to potter about on, so will take plenty of time to find the right bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A sad day indeed. It looks as if it led a good life.

battered

Guru
The Heat Affected Zone. Always, always. It's difficult and expensive the heat treat the whole frame after welding to reduce the effect of HAZ, and ally in particular is prone to fatigue cracking, as has happened here. In point of fact "could have been very nasty indeed" is very unlikely. The cracks creep over a period of time, so in general the bike becomes increasingly floppy and you pull over and say "WTF is wrong with this thing?....oh s**t" before the thing actually folds up like a bit of bad origami. A mate of mine had a MTB frame actually break on a descent, it stayed in one piece, approximately the right shape, with him hanging on and wondering why it was handling so badly.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The Heat Affected Zone. Always, always. It's difficult and expensive the heat treat the whole frame after welding to reduce the effect of HAZ, and ally in particular is prone to fatigue cracking, as has happened here. In point of fact "could have been very nasty indeed" is very unlikely. The cracks creep over a period of time, so in general the bike becomes increasingly floppy and you pull over and say "WTF is wrong with this thing?....oh s**t" before the thing actually folds up like a bit of bad origami. A mate of mine had a MTB frame actually break on a descent, it stayed in one piece, approximately the right shape, with him hanging on and wondering why it was handling so badly.

:ohmy: Certainly good test of one's handling skills!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Are you going to bury it in style or leave it at the bottom of the garden to be taken over by ivy and vines?

Drago

Legendary Member

battered

Guru
Well done, by the way. I've never broken a frame. As a result I have spare frames from bikes that I have plundered for moving parts, and a series of "projects" based on them.

battered

Guru
It's my 2nd broken frame. The first was riding into the back of a van. Turns out, vans are fairly solid objects!
I broke a set of forks by hitting a Toyota Starlet at speed. The frame survived and came out of it better than I did. The driver of the Toyota came out of it better than either of us but his licence certainly didn't.

Top Bottom