Rip off Britain (as if you didn't know already)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry to do this, but felt the need to post a surprising difference in the price of a bike between US and UK.

I use Chainreactioncycles a fair bit and even though I'm in the US they most often provide the best prices and shipping times. Saying that I was surprised when I researched a new bike, a Nukeproof gravel bike (yes I am that trendy). When I first arrived on the chainreaction page for this bike this is the price I saw...

Nukeproof Digger 1.0 Gravel Bike 2017
£1449.99

and when I changed country and currency...

Nukeproof Digger 1.0 Gravel Bike 2017 $1299.99

That's about a £400 difference, way more than the normal VAT difference I'm used to seeing.

Again, apologies for pointing out something you may already be aware of, but this was a surprising price
difference.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wanted to buy some quite good Danish-manufactured loudspeaker drive units a few years ago. The UK agent gave me a price. I bought them from a supplier in California for £200 less, even when shipping and customs fees were factored in.

The US is a big market, the UK isn't, so the prices here don't have to be internationally competitive. I think it's known as Treasure Island.

Lozz360

Veteran
Nukeproof is an American brand, so you would expect to pay more in the U.K. given import duties, no?

Good job you are not in France as this puzzles me: - Decathlon France currently selling on their website the B'Twin Ultra 920 AF for 1,400 € (£1,200) but on the UK site and in store, the identical Ultra 720 AF is £1,050. The same difference applies throughout their range with UK prices being considerably cheaper. I know we are still in the EU so no import duties but Decathlon are French so why charge their home market so much more?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sorry to do this, but felt the need to post a surprising difference in the price of a bike between US and UK.

I use Chainreactioncycles a fair bit and even though I'm in the US they most often provide the best prices and shipping times. Saying that I was surprised when I researched a new bike, a Nukeproof gravel bike (yes I am that trendy). When I first arrived on the chainreaction page for this bike this is the price I saw...
Not
£1449.99

That's about a £400 difference, way more than the normal VAT difference I'm used to seeing.

Again, apologies for pointing out something you may already be aware of, but this was a surprising price
difference.
So don't buy it then! It can hardly be classed as an essential purchase or necessity. IMO people spending such large sums on stuff that is effectively a toy cant really justify complaining about rip offs!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I bought a Moto Guzzi California in the UK and then paid more in import tax in Denmark, than I did for the actual bike.

Someone always has it worse than you. :smile:

Tim Hall

£1449.99

difference.
Don't forget bike parts attract duty at 4.7% while complete bikes are 15%. Then add VAT at 20% to the whole lot.

Top Bottom