Rip off Britain (as if you didn't know already)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not if you then pay the import duty and VAT when you bring it back to the UK.

Only if it is unused and still in the original wrapping, a friend of mine bought a Rolex in Dubai, had it on his wrist when coming back through customs, said that he had bought it as a gift for himself and the customs guys said it was fine. No issues, no import duty or VAT

Don't forget shipping costs.

It would have been part of my carry on luggage

Tin Pot

Guru
People who think they are getting ripped off all the time don't understand what being ripped off means, market prices, or anything about the costs associated with products.

If you're happy with a price at the time you pay for it, and happy with the goods, chill out and be happy. FFS.

If you're not happy with the price at the time you're buying, don't farking buy it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Only if it is unused and still in the original wrapping, a friend of mine bought a Rolex in Dubai, had it on his wrist when coming back through customs, said that he had bought it as a gift for himself and the customs guys said it was fine. No issues, no import duty or VAT

It would have been part of my carry on luggage

Your advice about "unused and still in original wrapping" is not correct. Buy something outside UK, bring it back to UK, you have to pay the appropriate duty on it. Whether you choose to illegally import something and not pay the duty (thereby committing a criminal act) is up to you of course. Your friend's story does not reflect UK law so seems unlikely

As an example, golf clubs have been traditionally cheaper in USA. It has been common for golfers to have a USA holiday and buy a set and bring them back. But UK customs are wise to this and they check the state of the clubs. Unused....you're stuffed. Even used a couple of times while you're out there but still in good nick....you're in for a very tough time

But you can't start comparing international prices without considering duties payable

Drago

Legendary Member
Someone always has it worse than you. :smile:
Indeed. Try paying car tax in Ireland.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You would have ot think CRC would not ship that from the UK but get the USA manufactuer to dropship it within the USA. The real test would be a EU product being cheaper in USD, but I cannot be arsed to go on CRC to find out..

The US Prices are often advertised excluding federal and state taxes too, so makes them appear cheaper than they actually are, not sure if that's the case here.

But try adding one to the basket and filling in the shipping details see what the total with tax comes to.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I find that doubtful. Duty and VAT would be payable on all goods purchased outside the EU with a value over £395, whether wrapped, used, a gift or not.

Your friend either failed to declare or is telling porkies.
According to gov.uk the appropriate piece seems to be "planning to sell". I've always thought that if you bought yourself something (anyone remember the game Contraband from their childhood) it was ok if it was for you and you were using it before you passed customs so wearing a watch, having used perfume etc.

Bearing in mind how few people are aware they need to declare anything other than tobacco and alcohol anyway, it's a moot point though.

The US Prices are often advertised excluding federal and state taxes too, so makes them appear cheaper than they actually are, not sure if that's the case here.

But try adding one to the basket and filling in the shipping details see what the total with tax comes to.

I just tried this, CRC say "Our prices have no UK or US sales tax, the price you see is the price you pay."

But then their shipping says taxes are included, and this is then $1401.99

But then "Orders over $800 including shipping may be subject to US import duties and carrier admin fees. As we have no control over these, please consult with US customs authorities to confirm associated costs."

US Import Duties if going to NY come out at $144, so you're looking at $1841.99 which converts to around £1508.

So the UK item to the door is cheaper than the US price.

The US price is also $1849.99 before the sale offer too.

Top Bottom