Rip off Britain (Especially O2) Anyone else been conned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
I've just been looking at phones, had mishap this week :wacko:
Usually i'm sim only/buy a phone, but thought i'd check the maths vs contract phone with O2.
Phone is more expensive than i can buy sim free. The biggest downside is when you take out phone + airtime contract, the airtime rates are very poor & you're tied for 36months. Leaving the phone cost aside 36 month contract with phone 5gb data/unlimited minutes airtime is £19/month.
sim only 18 month 5gb data/unlimited minutes is £10/month. £324 overcharge over 3 years, O2 are very much trying it on with the unwary customer.

D

Deleted member 26715

sim only 18 month 5gb data/unlimited minutes is £10/month.
Even that isn't cheap we have 2x sims on Vodafone for £8 with same unlimited minutes/SMS with 5Gb data.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Bailed out of contract phones some years ago.

We currently have a couple of Huawei's at £180 apiece and a Vodaphone SIM only at £8.50 per phone per month with unlimited minutes, text and data.

We tend to change our phones very infrequently - rough guess maybe every 5 years or so.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I thought that new phones now were all unlocked. I didn't think networks could control them anymore. Also I think I heard that PAC codes should now be given and acted upon inside 24 hours. Am I wrong? (It has been known!)

Not a huge problem these days. You can actually buy unlock codes off ebay for £1-3. I have used this method to unlock phones quite a few times and they have always worked. All you have to do is supply the required information about the handset when you make your purchase then wait for them to respond.

-- this is for android devices mind you, I dont think the process works quite the same with Apple devices due to Apple being Apple.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I buy a handset myself no more than £100 and use a giffgaff rolling goodybag i can alter at any time , to be fair i think the goodybags are slightly over priced £8 month unlimited calls and texts and 3 gig of data ? i have it mainly for data as i browse at work at break times rather than buying mags to read

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Why pay for unlimited data unless you are one of the saddoes walking around with eyes glued to a screen. Every shop, pub, hotel and place where the public are (or were) allowed into has free wifi.
You certainly don't need any data at all when you are riding your bike.
Nobody needs to be in touch with every passing word that is posted anywhere on the interweb. The few that do need it for business and employers will pay.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
O2 need to charge customers plenty because the poor lambs have a £10m fine to pay - for overcharging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56038966

GetFatty

Über Member
Why pay for unlimited data unless you are one of the saddoes walking around with eyes glued to a screen. Every shop, pub, hotel and place where the public are (or were) allowed into has free wifi.
You certainly don't need any data at all when you are riding your bike.
Nobody needs to be in touch with every passing word that is posted anywhere on the interweb. The few that do need it for business and employers will pay.
Who are you to tell me what I need or want? And no I’m not a saddoe thanks

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Obviously all such things depend on your usage, but I've been with 3 for a couple of years on their 3-2-1 tariff - 3p/min, 2p/txt, 1p/Mb - and I'd generally find a tenner lasted three months. Recently they ended the plan and ramped up their rates massively, so without too much effort I found a new deal with this lot: 1p/min, 1p/txt, 1p/Mb. I suspect my tenners are now going to be lasting me quite a lot longer. In fact I'll be surprised if I spend £20 a year. Samsung S7 edge off ebay, £128: job's a good'un.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's the built in obsolesce that annoys me.

I have two perfectly good iPads,
In use all day every day.
Since last year Apple stopped upgrading the software on older models, for no other reason than they want you to buy a new one.
Little by little various apps are now not being updated, and give it a couple more years it will be all apps.
I too have an old iPad that still works and a new iPad. It's the inevitable march of progress. Newer apps and features come out and they simply won't work with the old architecture.
The new iPad is so much much better than the old one. It's a sad fact that in the field of communication equipment change is constantly being driven forward.
Nokia with their 'One' range do at least promise you support for 2/3 years.

postman

Legendary Member
Virgin here.This last phone started off at £12 a month,now it's mine and I am paying £ 6.Can't grumble.And I got a new piece of string.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Virgin here.This last phone started off at £12 a month,now it's mine and I am paying £ 6.Can't grumble.And I got a new piece of string.
1613226352208.png

Top Bottom