Rip off Britain (Especially O2) Anyone else been conned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

The dream, eh? Where can one buy this dream, and for how much?
I understand one has to subscribe to Faecesbook, Instagrump, & something called Ticlatuk (I think), you have to leave your brain as you enter the site & have if filled up with lots of things which persuade you that you cannot live your life without them. Unfortunately I already have a functioning brain (well currently, although I have doubts about it's reliability) so can't fully comment.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It just goes to show people, some people will buy absolutely anything if it is marketed in the right way. Insane in my opinion. We are losing so much more than we could ever gain. Just taking cycles for example, how out there is on sale as must have stuff when in reality it is simply not the case.

With a non iOS phone I can see your logic @Darius_Jedburgh but with the fruity people it makes less sense as they control prices everywhere and the cost of the phone on contract is roughly the same as paying upfront unless you go for refurbished and accept the warranty is limited.
Biggest bug bear is that the fruity people don’t support adaptors for ant+

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Monthly subscriptions are a marketing ploy. Rather than quote full price retailers quote figures that customers can easily assimilate into their monthly budget. Long term cost seems to be longer be important. In today's world of instant gratification all that matters is having the latest xxxxxxx right now. You don't get bragging rights on Twitbook by saving up for anything.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
First question is: "do you want the phone?", followed by, "can you afford it?".

If both answers are "Yes", then, determine the cheapest way to achieve your objective. It is not difficult, just compare the SIM only price with the Phone and SIM price (for same allowance), over (say) 3 or 4 years (or, however long you plan to keep phone).

We have SIM only contracts with Tesco (who use the O2 network). £9/month each for 3000 minutes, 3000 texts, 12GB Data. I have iPhone X, wife has a Samsung S10. The biggest saving was on the Samsung, because, I was able to get significant discount, the iPhone was more problematic, since prices are more controlled, but, it was still cheaper than taking Network Contract. The other advantage of buying the phone is, it is not locked to a Network, so, you can switch Network providers (or, threaten to) if a better deal presents itself.

The discussion regarding having "the latest" etc is not relevant IMHO, some people would be shocked to spend more than £300 on a bicycle, but, many will happily pay £1000+, we are all different, thankfully. ;)

Brains

Legendary Member
It's the built in obsolesce that annoys me.

I have two perfectly good iPads,
In use all day every day.
Since last year Apple stopped upgrading the software on older models, for no other reason than they want you to buy a new one.
Little by little various apps are now not being updated, and give it a couple more years it will be all apps.

Same applies to our Samsung TV, it's only about 7 years old,
It does what we need, that is it shows TV.
However the NOW box we have connected to it since the 1st of Jan no longer works as it is no longer compatible due to a software update.
They don't support 'old' TV's.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I thought that new phones now were all unlocked. I didn't think networks could control them anymore. Also I think I heard that PAC codes should now be given and acted upon inside 24 hours. Am I wrong? (It has been known!)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I thought that new phones now were all unlocked. I didn't think networks could control them anymore. Also I think I heard that PAC codes should now be given and acted upon inside 24 hours. Am I wrong? (It has been known!)

Yes, I had read that Networks would be prevented from supplying "locked" phones, not sure if it has actually come into operation yet. It was never a really big problem anyway, since once the Contract period is over, you could request the Network to unlock it, just one less "problem" on the route to shopping around.

Don't know about the PAC code, have not had cause to switch Networks recently. I do know that you can retain your "original" mobile number very easily (on Tesco/O2 at least).

gbb

Legendary Member
Contracts are fine if you want the latest phone and have an expansive data need.
I've worked it all out before, buy the latest phone cash, then buy the data package, over the contract period, they kinda work out the same (or it did when I looked a few years ago)
You dont have to lay out £1k to start with, you have a good data and call bundle and basic insurance....and you spread the cost.

On the flip side, if you want a 'standard' quality device and your usage is mediocre, theres no way I'd buy a contract one.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The economy seems to be based on 2 things these days...

1.Subscriptions, as aforementioned above.

2. Middle men taking a cut for doing nothing. The meerkat, confused.com, secret escapes...

Less and less seems to be being manufactured, fewer and fewer businesses offer a tangible, useful service, and our economy becomes based on ever shakier foundations as a consequence.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not sure I see where the con is, or why this is 'rip off Britain'? All the numbers are there for the customer to see and they are free to choose cheaper alternatives (as you have demonstrated).
Agree, do the maths, do the homework. That's all it takes, think about what you actually, really need, compare costs of either method (contract vs cash), shop around. The different costs for the same product can be eye watering.

D

Deleted member 26715

No you are correct unless the operator has suspicions it's fraud but TBH they'd do it anyway, all call centres are in India who quite frankly don't give a monkeys
Yes, I had read that Networks would be prevented from supplying "locked" phones, not sure if it has actually come into operation yet. It was never a really big problem anyway, since once the Contract period is over, you could request the Network to unlock it, just one less "problem" on the route to shopping around.

Don't know about the PAC code, have not had cause to switch Networks recently. I do know that you can retain your "original" mobile number very easily (on Tesco/O2 at least).
December 2021

PaulSB

Legendary Member
SWMBO needed a new phone. She is on SIM only with O2. After a 2.5 hour "live chat" she was offered a new phone and SIM deal for £26 p.m. x 36 months. No split given but the promise that the SIM part would be reduced at end of contract. At present she pays £13p.m. Simple maths says that new phone element is a minimum of £13 p.m. More maths says that £13 x 36 =£470 which is the minimum cost of the new phone.

We went to a major UK retailer and bought the same phone for £170. That's not far off 30% of the price O2 were asking. £5 for a cable from the rainforest people and all data transferred automatically.

A saving of some £300, not to mention an afternoon wasted waiting for customer assistants to reply to us.

Anyone else suffered from similar service?
It isn't a rip off. In these instances the customer is simply accessing a new phone at top price and financing the purchase over 36 months. This is how financing works.

There are many simple ways to avoid paying such high costs. I can't see why you'd be upset about it in the first place.

Top Bottom